CLERMONT, Fla. - The Saint Michael's College softball team opened its 2019 season with a pair of setbacks on Saturday in the Hancock Recreation Complex to kick off its 10-game stay at The Spring Games, falling against the University of Pittsburgh Johnstown (Pa.), 6-0, and Salem (W.Va.) University, 12-4 in five innings.
- Saint Michael's (0-1), Pittsburgh Johnstown (5-4)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Senior Fallon Tierney (Reading, Mass./Reading Memorial), 1-for-3
- Senior Aleksandra Apkarian (Butler, N.J./Butler), BB
- Junior Torie Rathwell (Guilderland, N.Y./Guilderland), 7 IP, 6 R, 2 ER, 3 BB, 3 K
- Sophomore Kristie Radvan, 2-for-4, 2 runs, 2 RBIs, HR
- Sophomore Jade Stubblefield, 2-for-3, RBI, BB, 2B
- Sophomore Kristen Coffay, 7 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K
- The Purple Knights' season opener.
- The teams' first meeting.
- Saint Michael's head coach Nick Goodreau's first game as a college coach.
- As the visiting team, Pitt Johnstown scored twice in the top of the first inning. Radvan rapped an RBI single before coming home on a two-out error.
- With Saint Michael's down only 2-0, Tierney led off the second with a single before being erased on an inning-ending double play.
- Radvan knocked a solo home run to left center with one out in the third inning.
- The Mountain Cats scored three more times on two hits and two errors during the fourth, with first-year Lauren Gohacki and Stubblefield both hitting an RBI double.
- Saint Michael's (0-2), Salem (3-10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Rathwell, 2-for-3, 2 R
- Apkarian, 2-for-2, R, RBI, BB
- Sophomore Maggie Welling (Baltimore, Md./Maryvale Preparatory School), 2-for-3, RBI, 2B
- Junior Julia Sevigny (Rocky Hill, Conn./Rocky Hill), 1-for-2, BB, 2B
- Junior Katie Terban (Georgetown, Mass./Saint Mary's), 2 RBIs, SF
- Senior Molly Feeney (Valhalla, N.Y./John F. Kennedy Catholic), 3 IP, 3 H, 4 R, 1 ER; 1-for-2
- Sophomore Casey Moritz, 3-for-4, 2 R, 4 RBIs
- Senior Kaleigh Decker, 3-for-3, 3 R, 2 RBIs, 2B
- Junior Rosey Romick, 2-for-4, 4 RBIs
- Junior Christine Bombardiere, 5 IP, 10 H, 4 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 3 K
- The teams' first meeting since 2003.
- The Purple Knights had 10 hits to the Tigers' 12
- The visiting Purple and Gold took an early 1-0 lead on Terban's sacrifice fly in the second inning. Feeney ripped a single to center with one down for her first career hit in her initial collegiate plate appearance.
- Salem countered with four runs in the home half, as Decker knocked a two-run double and Moritz had a two-run single with two down.
- Welling's two-out RBI single made it 4-2 in the third.
- Salem tacked on four runs in the fourth, with Romick's two-run single the key blow.
- Saint Michael's again rallied the following frame, as Apkarian and Terban picked up RBIs to cut the deficit to 8-4.
- The Tigers put the game away with four runs in the bottom of the fifth, as Romick's two-run single brought the eight-run rule into effect.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Sunday vs. University of Minnesota Duluth (9 a.m.) and University of Minnesota Crookston (1:30 p.m.) in Clermont, Fla.
- Minnesota Duluth was a 2018 NCAA Super Regional finalist.