COLCHESTER, Vt. - A six-woman rookie class joins a 10-player veteran corps that occupied key roles for the Saint Michael's College softball program last spring, and the Purple Knights look for the newcomers to bolster the roster while building off of an offensive surge a year ago as the 2017 season approaches.
Head Coach: Robyn Newton (17th Year)
Assistant Coach: Angie Boyer (4th Year)
Volunteer Assistant Coaches: Meg (Currier) Mitchell '07 (10th Year), Olivia Leclerc '12 (4th Year), Jacqui Cronan '16 (1st Year)
2016 Overall Record: 3-34
2016 Northeast-10 Conference Record: 2-23
Regulars who started all or nearly all of team's games at pitcher, catcher, second base, shortstop, center field and left field return ... regulars from four of the top five spots in the batting order are also back ... Purple Knight pitchers struck out most batters in nine years, while batters hit most home runs also in nine seasons ... team's hit, double, home run and RBI figures were all among top 10 in program history ... Saint Michael's upset 25th-ranked Southern New Hampshire University, 4-2, in the opener of an April 8 doubleheader before leading late into the nightcap of an eventual loss. The Penmen had won the prior two Northeast-10 Conference Championships and later qualified for their third straight NCAA Tournament ... suffered nine losses by three runs or less.
Saint Michael's opens the season with its annual Spring Break trip to Florida, where it plays 10 games against nine opponents over the course of six days, beginning on March 12 ... three opponents qualified for last year's NCAA Tournament, with the Purple Knights first facing West Chester University of Pennsylvania on the first day of their Florida trip ... Le Moyne College and Southern New Hampshire met in the NCAA East 1 Regional final, with the Penmen advancing to the East Super Regional. During one seven-day stretch beginning April 5, Saint Michael's opposes those two NE10 counterparts five times, including hosting Le Moyne for an April 9 twinbill and Southern New Hampshire for a single game two days later. The Penmen are receiving votes toward the latest National Fastpitch Coaches Association (NFCA) national poll ... the Purple Knights begin their home and NE10 schedules by hosting Franklin Pierce University for a doubleheader on March 22, which would mark the earliest home opener in program history ... the top four teams in the NE10's two divisions head into the league championship beginning on May 2.
- Danielle Barbato (Hillsdale, N.Y./Taconic Hills), shortstop/third base | captain | 35 games | 35 starts | .262 batting average | .456 slugging percentage (team leader) | 10 runs | 11 RBIs | eight doubles (tied for team lead) | four home runs (team leader)
- Christina Brazeau (Warwick, R.I./Saint Mary Academy-Bay View), second base/shortstop | 34 games | 34 starts | .299 batting average | .421 slugging percentage | .380 on-base percentage (team leader) | 17 runs (team leader) | 10 walks (tied for team leader) | four hit-by-pitch (team leader) | seven doubles | two home runs
- Caroline Staples (Stoughton, Mass./Fontbonne Academy), outfielder/first base | captain | 35 games | 34 starts | .310 batting average | .440 slugging percentage | 11 runs | 13 RBIs | seven doubles | two home runs
- Danielle Brown (Vergennes, Vt./Vergennes Union), right-handed pitcher | 29 games | 22 pitching starts | 11 complete games | three wins | 3.95 ERA | 125 strikeouts | 125.2 innings
- Kaleigh Fallon (Mashpee, Mass./Sturgis Charter Public School), outfielder | left-handed hitter | 22 games in first season of college softball | 12 starts | five hits | one run | two walks
- Hannah St. Don (Lakeville, Mass./Sacred Heart), catcher | 25 games in first season after converting from pitcher | 21 starts | two hits | five runs
- Chandler Wilder (Beverly, Mass./Bishop Fenwick), outfielder | left-handed hitter | captain | 25 games | 24 starts | five hits | two hit-by-pitches | four sacrifice hits
- Molly Feeney (Valhalla, N.Y./John F. Kennedy Catholic), left-handed pitcher | 20 pitching appearances | 13 starts | four complete games | 30 strikeouts | 72.1 innings
- Anna Meusel (Acton, Mass./Acton-Boxboro Regional), right-handed pitcher/second base | 21 games | one run | 15 pitching appearances | two pitching starts | seven strikeouts | 30 innings
- Fallon Tierney (Reading, Mass./Reading Memorial), catcher/outfielder | 2016 NE10 All-Conference | 2016 NE10 All-Rookie Team | 35 games | 35 starts | .311 batting average (team leader) | .355 on-base percentage | 12 runs | 11 RBIs | four doubles | seven walks
- Aleksandra Apkarian (Butler, N.J./Butler), shortstop/second base
- Danielle Markowski (Ellington, Conn./Ellington), first base
- Torie Rathwell (Guilderland, N.Y./Guilderland), right-handed pitcher/first base
- Julia Sevigny (Rocky Hill, Conn./Rocky Hill), outfielder
- Katie Terban (Georgetown, Mass./Saint Mary's), third base
- Sarah Wight (Hingham, Mass./Hingham), outfielder