WENHAM, Mass. - The Saint Michael's College men's tennis team finished the fall leg of its schedule with a perfect 4-0 mark thanks to downing Gordon College, 6-1, on Saturday at the Brigham Athletic Complex.
- Saint Michael's (4-0), Gordon (1-3)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Senior Matt Mosher (Fairfield, Conn./Fairfield Warde), 2 wins
- First-year Jason Boucher (Bedford, N.H./Bedford), 2 wins
- First-year Connor Scott (Bellevue, Wash./Newport), 2 wins
- First-year Seb Tonini (Derry, N.H./Pinkerton Academy), 2 wins
- Saint Michael's is 4-0 for the first time since 2007-08, when it began the year 5-0.
- Saint Michael's outscored its competition 31-1 this fall.
- The Purple Knights avenged a 5-4 loss to the Fighting Scots during their first meeting ever last year.
- With the teams playing by Northeast-10 Conference rules, Saint Michael's grabbed the doubles point for the match behind a pair of early victories. Sophomore Michael Rosen (Andover, Mass./Andover/Saint Anselm) and first-year Josh Weiss (Pittsford, N.Y./Pittsford Mendon) won 6-0 at No. 2 in their first match together, while Boucher and Scott improved to 4-1 thanks to a 6-2 victory in the top spot.
- Mosher and Tonini rounded out doubles action with a 6-3 triumph at No. 3 while siding for the first time.
- Scott and junior Colby Antonacci (Bolton Valley, Vt./Mount Mansfield Union/Saint Anselm) kicked off singles with back-to-back shutouts of their foes at No. 2 and 6, respectively, to put the visitors up 3-0.
- Boucher clinched the team win with a 6-2, 6-1 victory in the third spot.
- Tonini (6-1, 6-1) and Mosher (6-3, 6-4) also captured wins, at No. 4 and 5, respectively.
- Weiss suffered his first singles loss in four dual-meet decisions, falling against a Fighting Scot who advanced to the Round of 16 at the Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) Division III New England Regional Championship.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S MATCH
- Feb. 1 at Roberts Wesleyan (N.Y.) College, 12 p.m.