FLUSHING, N.Y. - First-year Josh Weiss' (Pittsford, N.Y./Pittsford Mendon) run to the main singles draw at the Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) East Regional Championship came to an end on Saturday, when the Saint Michael's College men's tennis team concluded play at the United States Tennis Association (USTA) Billie Jean King National Tennis Center. The Purple Knights finished doubles action after starting matches late on Friday.
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Sophomore Constantin Krogh (Oslo, Norway/Persbråten VGS), 1 win
- Sophomore Michael Rosen (Andover, Mass./Andover/Saint Anselm), 1 win
- First-year Jason Boucher (Bedford, N.H./Bedford), 1 win
- First-year Connor Scott (Bellevue, Wash./Newport), 1 win
- The Purple Knights had eight players entered in the 128-slot singles qualifiers draw while four doubles tandems were placed among 64 spots in that bracket.
- First-year Josh Weiss (Pittsford, N.Y./Pittsford Mendon) was seeded 29th in the singles qualifier bracket as one of only 32 seeded players. He drew the 10th-highest seed among Northeast-10 Conference student-athletes prior to advancing to the 64-position main draw.
- Doubles matches began late Friday night, and three Purple Knight tandems advanced as far as the second round on Saturday morning.
- The United States Tennis Association (USTA) Billie Jean King National Tennis Center has been home to the US Open grand slam event since 1978.
- Weiss concluded his run at ITAs with a loss in the first round of the main singles draw, falling to University of District of Columbia sophomore Konstiantyn Kalchev, 6-3, 6-2. Kalchev was UDC's No. 1 singles player as a rookie before claiming East Coast Conference (ECC) All-Conference second team honors.
- Krogh and Rosen trailed 7-4 in the first round of doubles on Friday but saved four match points before rallying for the 9-7 triumph against Franklin Pierce University senior Yuval Barak and sophomore Preston Gordon, who were 14-9 as the Ravens' primary No. 2 squad in 2018-19. Krogh and Rosen were eliminated in the second round, 8-4, by Chestnut Hill (Pa.) College senior Erik Jorsal and sophomore Tom Pitchley, the third-seeded tandem in the bracket and the third-seeded duo in the latest ITA East Region poll. Jorsal and Pitchley, who advanced to the 2018 ITA round of 16, were 20-8 last season as the regular No. 1 team for a Chestnut Hill squad that advanced to the NCAA East Regional Championship final.
- Boucher and Scott took down Saint Thomas Aquinas (N.Y.) College senior Tim Fleerkamp and first-year Tony Khamassi, 8-4, in Friday's first round before narrowly losing to the fifth seed in the bracket, Queens (N.Y.) College sophomores Eduardo Marino and Kareem Rashad, 9-7, in the second round.
- Weiss and senior Matt Mosher (Fairfield, Conn./Fairfield Warde) lost in the first round only 9-7 to Adelphi University senior David Robres de Veciana and junior Luke Attride-Stirling, who earning NE10 All-Conference third team honors at No. 2 doubles last year.
- First-years Matt Costanza (Hopedale, Mass./Hopedale) and Seb Tonini (Derry, N.H./Pinkerton Academy) earned a bye into the second round, where they suffered an 8-2 loss to Queens senior Nicholas Volos and junior Hugo Evangelista de Andrade.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S MATCH
- Saturday at Springfield College, 1 p.m.