COLCHESTER, Vt. - The Saint Michael's College men's tennis team knocked off the University of Massachusetts Boston, 6-1, on Sunday in the Tarrant Recreation Center, defeating a squad that advanced to the last three Little East Conference Tournament championship matches.
- Saint Michael's (5-12), UMass Boston (5-4)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Senior Max Allen (Dennis, Mass./Dennis-Yarmouth Regional), 2 wins
- Senior Jake Remillard (Saint Albans, Vt./BFA-Saint Albans), 2 wins
- Junior Matt Mosher (Fairfield, Conn./Fairfield Warde), 2 wins
- Senior Dan Foley (Wellesley, Mass./Wellesley), 1 win
- Sophomore Colby Antonacci (Bolton Valley, Vt./Mount Mansfield Union/Saint Anselm), 1 win
- First-year Ivan Llona (Shelburne, Vt./Champlain Valley Union), 1 win
- This was the fourth of five matches in seven days for the Purple Knights.
- Saint Michael's matched its win total from the last four seasons combined.
- UMass Boston advanced to the last three Little East Conference Tournament championship matches, qualifying for the 2017 NCAA Division III Tournament.
- Llona improved to 11-5 in singles, tying Luke Hudak '03 (2001-02) and Mike Thomas '81 (1980-81) for the school record in season singles victories.
- Mosher moved to 9-7 in doubles, tying for seventh in program history in season doubles wins. He has the most by a Purple Knight since 2007-08.
- The teams met for the first time.
- Saint Michael's captured the first two completed doubles matches to snag the doubles point.
- Mosher and Remillard combined for a 6-2 win at No. 2 before Allen and Foley claimed a 6-4 victory in the second spot.
- The Purple Knights nearly swept doubles, but Llona and first-year Constantin Krogh (Oslo, Norway/Persbråten VGS) lost 7-6 (7-4) at No. 3, falling in a tiebreaker.
- Allen began singles with a 6-1, 6-1 win in the second spot before Mosher also claimed a straight-set victory, 6-3, 6-2 at No. 4.
- Antonacci clinched the win for Saint Michael's by grinding out a 6-4, 3-6, 6-2 triumph in the third position.
- Llona registered his record-tying win via a 6-1, 6-4 score in the fifth spot.
- Foley lost a 7-5, 4-6, 6-2 decision in the first spot as the Beacons claimed their only point.
- Remillard rallied for a 4-6, 7-6 (7-4), 11-9 victory at No. 6.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S MATCH
- Tuesday vs. Northern Vermont University-Lyndon, 3:30 p.m.