Apr 06, 2019
COLCHESTER, Vt. - The Saint Michael's College men's tennis team lost to Adelphi University, 7-0, on Saturday during Northeast-10 Conference play in the Tarrant Recreation Center.
- Saint Michael's (4-12, 1-5 NE10), Adelphi (1-7, 1-3 NE10)
- This was the third of five matches in seven days for the Purple Knights, with four of them against NE10 opponents.
- Two doubles matches were decided by just two games, and four singles matches featured at least one set decided by two games or less.
- Saint Michael's won 46 games during the match, its most against Adelphi since totaling 52 in 2012, and nearly double the 24 the Purple and Gold captured in last spring's meeting.
- Adelphi won all three doubles matches to capture the opening point of the match.
- First-years Constantin Krogh (Oslo, Norway/Persbråten VGS) and Ivan Llona (Shelburne, Vt./Champlain Valley Union) lost a 6-4 decision at No. 2 before seniors Max Allen (Dennis, Mass./Dennis-Yarmouth Regional) and Dan Foley (Wellesley, Mass./Wellesley) fell by a 7-5 count in the top spot.
- The Panthers dropped only five games during its first two singles wins, pushing the score to 3-0.
- Sophomore Colby Antonacci (Bolton Valley, Vt./Mount Mansfield Union/Saint Anselm) put together a strong opening set during a 7-5, 6-1 loss in the fourth position, allowing the visitors to clinch the team win.
- Junior Matt Mosher (Fairfield, Conn./Fairfield Warde) fell in an opening-set tiebreaker en route to a 7-6 (7-1), 6-3 defeat at No. 3.
- Krogh and Llona also both fell in straight sets, but only after a combined three 6-4 setbacks. Krogh lost a 6-4, 6-4 decision at No. 5, and Llona suffered a 6-4, 6-2 setback in the sixth spot.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S MATCH
- Sunday vs. University of Massachusetts Boston, 12 p.m.