COLCHESTER, Vt. - The Saint Michael's College men's tennis team lost to Assumption College, 4-3, in a match that came down to the final singles decision on Thursday during Northeast-10 Conference play in the Tarrant Recreation Center.
- Saint Michael's (4-11, 1-4 NE10), Assumption (1-11, 1-2 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- First-year Constantin Krogh (Oslo, Norway/Persbråten VGS), 2 wins
- First-year Ivan Llona (Shelburne, Vt./Champlain Valley Union), 2 wins
- Senior Jake Remillard (Saint Albans, Vt./BFA-Saint Albans), 1 win
- Junior Matt Mosher (Fairfield, Conn./Fairfield Warde), 1 win
- This was the second of five matches in seven days for the Purple Knights, with four of them against NE10 opponents.
- Saint Michael's played its fifth one-point decision this school year, matching its total from the last seven seasons combined.
- Llona improved to 10-4 in singles, coming within one of the school record for season victories. He is tied with six others for third place. Luke Hudak '03, in 2001-02, and Mike Thomas '81, in 1980-81, share the record of 11 triumphs.
- Krogh moved to 6-2 in singles, while he and Llona are 3-1 as a doubles tandem.
- The Purple Knights won 73 games against Assumption after totaling 89 victories in the past two meetings combined.
- Krogh and Llona opened doubles play with a 6-1 win at No. 3 before seniors Max Allen (Dennis, Mass./Dennis-Yarmouth Regional) and Dan Foley (Wellesley, Mass./Wellesley) lost a 6-3 decision in the top spot.
- With their match deciding which team would garner the doubles point, Mosher and Remillard pulled out a 7-6 (8-6) victory at No. 2, giving Saint Michael's a 1-0 lead.
- Krogh's 6-0, 6-3 win in the sixth singles spot made it 2-0 before Greyhounds won in straight sets at No. 4 and 1 to knot the match.
- Allen rallied to force a third set in the second position but lost a 7-5, 4-6, 6-4 contest, allowing the visitors to nab a 3-2 edge.
- Llona finished off a 7-5, 6-2 victory at No. 5 to tie the match once again.
- The final decision between the teams ended up being decided by Mosher's contest in the third spot, which ended in Assumption's favor, 6-3, 7-6 (11-9) after a second-set tie-breaker.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S MATCH
- Saturday vs. Adelphi University, 12 p.m.