COLCHESTER, Vt. - Senior Jake Bannon (Clifton, Va./Paul VI Catholic) scored twice as one of four goal scorers to help the Saint Michael's College men's soccer team beat Roberts Wesleyan (N.Y.) College, 5-1, on Wednesday on Duffy Field.
- Saint Michael's (3-1-1), Roberts Wesleyan (2-4-1)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Senior Jake Bannon (Clifton, Va./Paul VI Catholic), 2 goals
- Sophomore Max Rossignol (Hopkinton, N.H./Hopkinton), 1 goal (1st career), 1 assist
- Sophomore Miguel Diaz (Madrid, Spain/Saint Thomas Aquinas), 2 assists
- Sophomore Kyle Brady (Needham, Mass./Worcester Academy), 1 goal
- Sophomore Ryan DiNapoli (North Reading, Mass./Austin Prep), 1 goal
- First-year Mikael Ameris (West Palm Beach, Fla./Oxbridge Academy), 1 assist
- First-year Tommy Coil (Toledo, Ohio/Ottawa Hills), 3 saves
- Senior Terrell Spencer, 1 goal
- First-year Jared Gibbons, 3 saves in 38:20
- Junior Joe McNulty, 4 saves in 51:40 of relief
- This was the Purple Knights' final regular-season non-conference game, as they finish with a record of 3-1 out of league. They complete their season with 11 straight Northeast-10 Conference games.
- At 3-0-1 on Duffy Field, Saint Michael's is undefeated through the first four home games of a season for the first time since the 2015 season.
- This was the first meeting between Saint Michael's and Roberts Wesleyan.
- Most goals scored in a game by the Purple Knights since September 30, 2017, in a 5-0 home win over Bentley University.
- Bannon's first multi-goal game of his career.
- The shots where 21-19 in favor of the Purple Knights and the teams were tied in corners with four each.
- In the 10th minute, a shot by Diaz was pushed over the crossbar by Gibbons to set the Purple Knights up for a corner kick. Brady's drive from the corner curved into the net to give Saint Michael's the 1-0 lead 9:58 into the game.
- On the reset after the goal, Diaz was able to steal the ball from a Redhawk player and pass from midfield to Bannon, who ran up onto it and placed the ball perfectly into the lower right corner of the net for a 2-0 lead just 15 seconds after Brady's goal.
- Bannon found the goal for a second time in the 24th minute when Diaz made another long pass over the last line of defense and Bannon chipped it in over the keeper.
- Junior Matteo Bianchini (Winchester, Mass./Winchester) served in a corner kick in the 35th minute that found the head of Ameris, whose shot hit the crossbar and came out to Rossignol, who tapped it in for the fourth goal of the game.
- In the 41st minute, Spencer dribbled to the right side of the box and shot to the bottom left corner just out of reach of Coil for the Redhawks' lone goal of the game.
- In the 82nd minute, junior Johanz Tusiime was alone in the 18 and shot the ball, but Coil dove to his right and knocked the ball away for a corner. On the corner, Coil was able to jump higher than anyone and punch the ball away to keep the Redhawks at one goal.
- Late in the 89th minute, DiNapoli's shot was saved by McNulty but DiNapoli collected the rebound and hit it home for the fifth goal of the game for the Purple Knights.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Saturday at Assumption College, 4 p.m.
- Assumption is ranked fifth in this week's United Soccer Coaches East Region poll.