MANCHESTER, N.H. - The Saint Michael's College men's soccer team suffered its first loss of the season on Tuesday, returning from a 10-day layoff and falling to regionally-ranked Saint Anselm College, 3-1, at Melucci Field. The contest was the teams' annual Community Cup game, benefiting a local charity, and counted as a non-league affair between the Northeast-10 Conference counterparts. They will meet again, this time in NE10 play, on Oct. 1 in Colchester. The Hawks are 10th in this week's United Soccer Coaches East Region poll.
- Saint Michael's (2-1), Saint Anselm (4-0)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Sophomore Miguel Diaz (Madrid, Spain/Saint Thomas Aquinas), 1 goal (1st career)
- Senior Andres Rivas (Caracas, Venezuela/Palmer Trinity School), 1 assist
- Junior Mathias Loft (Frederiksberg, Denmark/Cohasset), 2 saves in 45 minutes
- First-year Tommy Coil (Toledo, Ohio/Ottawa Hills), 3 saves in 45 minutes of relief, loss
- Sophomore Taylor Silverstein, 2 goals
- First-year Jackson Bukunt, 1 assist
- Senior Jacob Rostkowski, 2 saves in 52:45
- First-year Brian Underhill, 1 save in 37:15 of relief, win
- Saint Anselm is ranked 10th in this week's United Soccer Coaches East Region poll.
- The Purple Knights' first game since Sept. 7, and only road game among their first five.
- The teams played their third annual Community Cup fundraiser game, with both programs making a donation to a local charity. This year's beneficiary will be announced soon.
- Coil's career-opening 107:44 shutout streak came to an end.
- Saint Michael's held advantages in shots (15-14) and corner kicks (5-2).
- Loft made a stop at the lower left on junior Josh Polakiewicz's shot during a corner kick play in the sixth minute to keep the teams scoreless.
- During the 14th minute, Rivas ripped a long shot off the right post, but Diaz tapped home the rebound from the left side of the box.
- Saint Anselm countered soon thereafter, with Bukunt being denied by a leaping Loft in the 19th minute at the edge of the box, but Silverstein put in the second chance beyond a sliding Purple Knight back.
- Diaz was stopped at the bottom right corner by Rostkowski in the 27th minute before first-year Nate Sampson's (Hinesburg, Vt./Champlain Valley Union) free kick following a Saint Anselm yellow card was denied in the 29th minute.
- Coil made saves on shots by senior Nick Heckt in the 55th and 59th minutes, both of which were ticketed for the bottom part of the net, to maintain the deadlock.
- In the 63rd minute, Saint Anselm was aided by a failed clearance by a Purple Knight defender that hit the upper 90 over a leaping Coil, going down as an own goal and ultimately the game-winner.
- Silverstein found the back of the net once more just 1:38 later, pouncing on a failed clear and slotting a shot into the lower right.
- Diaz lined up for a free kick in the 81st minute but lofted the ball just over the crossbar.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Saturday vs. Southern Connecticut State University, 3 p.m.