MANCHESTER, N.H. - The Saint Michael's College men's soccer team saw its season come to an end on Friday evening with a 3-1 loss to No. 19 Southern New Hampshire University in Penmen Stadium during Northeast-10 Conference play. The Penmen are ranked nationally by the United Soccer Coaches and third in the NCAA East Region.
- Saint Michael's (4-11-1, 3-9-1 NE10), Southern New Hampshire (12-3-2, 8-3-2 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Junior Justin D'Orlando (Middleton, Mass./Bridgton Academy), 1 goal
- Sophomore Matteo Bianchini (Winchester, Mass./Winchester), 1 assist
- Redshirt sophomore Leland Gazo (Colchester, Vt./Rice Memorial/Bradley), 7 saves
- Sophomore Nadjib Chibout, 1 goal, 1 assist
- Graduate student Jonathan Cruickshank, 1 goal
- Junior Michael Goncalves, 1 goal
- Senior Daniel Milton, 2 saves
- Saint Michael's snapped the Penmen's home shutout streak at 256:19, becoming only the third opponent in nine games to score on Southern New Hampshire's field this year.
- The Purple Knights held a 7-4 advantage in corner kicks.
- Southern New Hampshire is ranked 19th in this week's United Soccer Coaches national poll and third in the NCAA East Region rankings.
- Southern New Hampshire qualified for nine of the last 10 NCAA Tournaments.
- Junior Jake Bannon's (Clifton, Va./Paul VI Catholic) early header in the third minute was denied by Milton, leading to a Bianchini corner kick that led to no shots.
- In the 16th minute, Bianchini had a shot blocked out of bounds, and he sent an ensuing corner kick to the head of D'Orlando, who put home his second goal of the season into the right side of the net.
- Cruickshank tied the game just 4:36 after the visitor tally, during the 21st minute.
- Sophomore Tom Marriott's go-ahead try rung the post in the 26th minute, and his follow-up bid was wide.
- Gazo made stops on consecutive shots by Marriott in the 35th and 36th minutes to keep the game tied.
- Chibout rung the post in the 52nd minute, and Gazo stopped redshirt sophomore Andre Pereira's shot shortly thereafter.
- First-year Chris Gallier (Bow, N.H./Bow) had a go-ahead attempt saved by Milton late in the 59th minute, and Chibout quickly countered at the other end, taking a pass from Marriott and touching around Gazo into an open net at 59:06.
- Goncalves tapped a shot inside the left post at 68:19 to extend the lead to two goals.
- Saint Michael's fired off two corner kicks in the 71st minute, with D'Orlando sandwiching a header that was blocked in between.