SPRINGFIELD, Mass. - The Saint Michael's College men's soccer team suffered a 3-1 setback at American International College on Abdow Field during Northeast-10 Conference play on Wednesday evening.
- Saint Michael's (4-8-1, 3-6-1 NE10), AIC (5-7-1, 4-5-1 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Junior Justin D'Orlando (Middleton, Mass./Bridgton Academy), 1 goal
- Sophomore Matteo Bianchini (Winchester, Mass./Winchester), 1 assist
- Redshirt sophomore Leland Gazo (Colchester, Vt./Rice Memorial/Bradley), 5 saves
- Junior Felipe Novelini, 1 goal, 1 assist
- Junior Steven Hernandez, 2 assists
- Graduate student Yanis Boucetta, 1 goal
- Graduate student Alexandre Frank, 1 goal
- Graduate student Ben Taylor, 2 saves
- The teams entered the night with identical records of 4-7-1 overall and 3-5-1 in the NE10 while standing tied for 11th, just three points out of the eighth and final postseason spot.
- AIC ran its NE10 unbeaten streak to five games.
- Saint Michael's held a 5-3 edge in corner kicks, while AIC carried an 18-11 shot advantage.
- Just three minutes into the game, Bianchini sent a corner kick that was cleared away, but his ensuing reentry pass was headed home by D'Orlando at 3:06 for his first goal of the season.
- Gazo made stops in the 10th and 19th minutes to keep it 1-0.
- Frank drew AIC even during the 38th minute, firing from just inside the 18.
- Early in the second stanza, junior Jake Bannon (Clifton, Va./Paul VI Catholic) had a shot blocked in the 46th minute, leading to a corner kick sequence during which Bannon sent a go-ahead bid wide.
- AIC took the lead soon thereafter, with Boucetta tallying at 49:23.
- Novelini padded the lead in the 69th minute, firing from outside the 18 following a through ball from Hernandez.
- Saint Michael's nearly chipped away at the deficit, but first-year Cam Goodrich's (Milton, Vt./Milton) header during a corner set was denied in the 71st minute by Taylor.
- Boucetta hit the crossbar in the 82nd minute, and Hernandez send a second try wide.
- In the 84th minute, senior Bradley Anair (Bennington, Vt./Mount Anthony Union) had a shot sail high off of a corner entry from Bianchini. D'Orlando later rung the crossbar with a little more than a minute to go.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Saturday at regionally-ranked Le Moyne College, 12 p.m.
- The Dolphins are sixth in this week's United Soccer Coaches East Region poll.