COLCHESTER, Vt. - Redshirt junior Brady Channell (Plattsburgh, N.Y./Plattsburgh) netted the game-winner for his first collegiate goal as the Saint Michael's College men's soccer team defeated Stonehill College, 2-0, in Saturday's Northeast-10 Conference matchup at Duffy Field.
- Saint Michael's (4-7-1, 3-5-1 NE10), Stonehill (5-6-1, 4-5 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Junior Jacob von Giebel (Lambertville, N.J./South Hunterdon Regional), 1 goal
- Redshirt junior Brady Channell (Plattsburgh, N.Y./Plattsburgh), 1 goal (1st career)
- Sophomore Matteo Bianchini (Winchester, Mass./Winchester), 1 assist (1st career)
- Redshirt sophomore Leland Gazo (Colchester, Vt./Rice Memorial/Bradley), 4 saves
- Junior Billy Troast, 4 saves
- The Purple Knights have now won three of the last four contests against the Skyhawks, improving their record to 9-6-4 at home in the series.
- The Skyhawks held a 14-12 advantage in shots while the Purple Knights recorded a 6-5 lead in corner kicks.
- Von Giebel now has seven goals on the season, one away from being tied for seventh on the Saint Michael's single-season goals scored list.
- The Skyhawks had a chance at goal in the ninth minute when first-year Kevin O'Shea had a breakaway attempt that was thwarted by a sliding kick save by Gazo.
- Gazo added two more saves in the 20th minute, punching away a skipping shot by senior Justin Brehm from outside the box and following it up with a diving stop on the rebound attempt by junior Ryan Chieffo.
- The Purple Knights broke through in the 39th minute when Channell headed home a corner kick from Bianchini to make it 1-0.
- Von Giebel added the Purple Knights' second goal at 62:40 after cleaning up his own rebound directly in front and tapping it into the right side of the net.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Wednesday at American International College, 7 p.m.