NEW HAVEN, Conn. - The Saint Michael's College men's soccer team played its fourth 1-0 decision in five games on Wednesday, allowing only an 80th-minute strike to lose by that count at 2017 NCAA Tournament qualifier Southern Connecticut State University during a Northeast-10 Conference contest at Jess Dow Field.
- Saint Michael's (3-6-1, 2-4-1 NE10), Southern Connecticut State (6-4, 4-3 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Redshirt sophomore Leland Gazo (Colchester, Vt./Rice Memorial/Bradley), 6 saves
- Junior Dexter Tenn, 1 goal
- Junior Bailey Bassett, 2 saves
- Thirteen of the past 15 meetings between the two teams have now been decided by one goal or less.
- It was the 11th time in those 15 meetings the final score was 1-0 or 0-0.
- Southern Connecticut State qualified for the 2017 NCAA Tournament.
- Each of the Purple Knights' last five games was decided by one goal or less, while four were 1-0 affairs.
- The Owls held slim edges in shots (13-11) and corner kicks (8-5).
- First-year Kenny Cesar (Port-au-Prince, Haiti/Pope Francis) fired a 23rd-minute shot high of the net that led to junior Jake Bannon's (Clifton, Va./Paul VI Catholic) corner kick, which did not yield any shots.
- During a sequence that started in the 25th minute on a corner kick, first-year Daniel Utgaard had a shot denied by Gazo before Tenn's follow-up bid went high of the net.
- Consecutive corners by Southern Connecticut State in the 70th minute yielded no shots.
- After Gazo made stops in the 75th and 78th minutes, Tenn slipped a shot home at 79:40 after junior Blaise Haba's cross from the right side.
- Sophomore Ignasi Perez Cererols' 20-yard curling strike drilled the crossbar in the 88th minute, and Gazo made a save of first-year Khaleed Dawkins' one-hop follow-up to keep it 1-0.
- Bannon followed with a corner kick early in the 89th minute that Bassett intercepted out of the air, and neither team fired off an ensuing shot before the final horn.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Tuesday vs. Franklin Pierce University, 3 p.m.