COLCHESTER, Vt. - Three juniors scored as the Saint Michael's College men's soccer team opened its home slate with a 3-1 victory against Saint Anselm College on Wednesday at Duffy Field. The Northeast-10 Conference foes were playing a non-league contest and matching up for their second annual Community Cup, with both squads making a $500 pregame donation to support children in the Winooski School District.
- Saint Michael's (1-2), Saint Anselm (0-1)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Junior Jake Bannon (Clifton, Va./Paul VI Catholic), 1 goal
- Junior Wesley Lord (Manchester, Vt./Burr and Burton Academy), 1 goal (1st career)
- Junior Jacob von Giebel (Lambertville, N.J./South Hunterdon Regional), 1 goal
- Redshirt junior Gabriel Pineda (Miami, Fla./Immaculata-La Salle), 3 saves in 45 shutout minutes for the win
- Redshirt sophomore Leland Gazo (Colchester, Vt./Rice Memorial/Bradley), 3 saves in 45 relief minutes
- First-year Michael Budrewicz, 1 goal
- Junior Jacob Rostkowski, 5 saves
- Saint Michael's played not only its home opener but its final regular-season non-conference game.
- The Purple Knights are 7-3-5 in the series since 2006.
- This was just the third time in 19 meetings since 2002 that the teams were not separated by one goal or less.
- Just 59 seconds into the game, von Giebel stopped at the top left corner of the box and lifted the ball over the outstretched keeper into the far right side of the net, putting the hosts ahead for good.
- During the 23rd minute, senior Felipe Bispo drilled a shot from the edge of the box ticketed for the underside of the crossbar, but Pineda leaped to tip the bid high.
- Sophomore Matteo Bianchini (Winchester, Mass./Winchester) had a key opportunity of his own during the 33rd minute, driving a shot from 25 yards that Rostkowski tipped up and off the crossbar.
- Gazo made back-to-back stellar stops in the 58th and 59th minutes to keep the hosts in front, first tipping first-year Patrick Sorensen's drive from the top of the box over the crossbar before denying Budrewicz's hard shot at the left post.
- The Purple Knights extended their lead to 2-0 at 66:14, as first-year Miguel Diaz (Madrid, Spain/Saint Thomas Aquinas) had an initial shot from the right side of the box stopped by Rostkowski, but Bannon scissor-kicked the rebound out of the air into the far side.
- Budrewicz gained a step on his defender and had a breakaway bid in the 77th minute, but Gazo kicked away a shot toward the right corner with his right foot.
- Lord pushed the lead to three goals at 80:29, striking a shot from deep in the left corner and curling the ball inside the upper right corner and through the keeper's fingertips. First-year Kyle Brady (Needham, Mass./Worcester Academy) registered the assist.
- Budrewicz broke the shutout 2:31 later, taking a give-and-go and slipping a shot inside the right corner.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Tuesday at No. 7 Merrimack College, 7 p.m.
- The Warriors are seventh in the United Soccer Coaches' national poll while slotted first in the East Region rankings. Merrimack won last year's NE10 Championship and qualified for its fourth straight NCAA Tournament.