HOOKSETT, N.H. - The Saint Michael's College men's lacrosse team trailed Southern New Hampshire by only one goal until nearly midway through the fourth quarter in an eventual 10-5 loss on Wednesday evening in Northeast-10 Conference action at Penmen Stadium.
- Saint Michael's (3-8, 0-7 NE10), Southern New Hampshire (3-8, 2-6 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Junior Ralph Grillone III (Brockton, Mass./Cardinal Spellman), 2 goals
- Junior Alec Sharlow (Watertown, N.Y./South Jefferson), 1 goal, 1 assist, 3 ground balls
- Graduate student Brian Loughlin (Kingston, N.Y./Kingston), 1 goal, 2 caused turnovers
- Senior Connor McGuirk (Glens Falls, N.Y./Glens Falls), 1 goal
- Junior Will Moriarty (Ashland, Mass./Catholic Memorial), 9 ground balls, 5 caused turnovers
- Senior Matt Cotter (Acton, Mass./Acton-Boxboro Regional), 6 ground balls, 4 caused turnovers
- Senior Brendan Morris (Hingham, Mass./Hingham), 3 caused turnovers
- Sophomore Dominic Joy (Scarborough, Maine/Scarborough), 13 saves
- First-year Tristan Pietz, 3 goals, 2 assists
- Senior Tom Schutz, 2 goals, 2 assists
- Sophomore Stephen Dubois, 2 goals, 1 assist
- First-year Owen McCuin, 2 goals
- Senior Andrew Liu, 12 ground balls, 15-for-18 faceoffs
- Redshirt sophomore Neal Murray, 12 saves
- The Purple Knights committed 30 turnovers but forced Southern New Hampshire into 28.
- Cotter moved into eighth in program history in career ground balls (148), passing Evan White '13 (147). He also is now tied for ninth in caused turnovers with Ryan Clunan '11 (40).
- With 35 caused turnovers this season, Moriarty moved into second in program annals. He also became the fourth Purple Knight with 60 for a career, landing exactly at the figure during the game.
- All of the first-quarter scoring was accomplished in a 1:21 span. Schutz scored at 11:32 before Liu won the ensuing faceoff and came down for another goal eight seconds later. Loughlin cut the deficit to 2-1 off a feed from junior Aidan Maron (Sudbury, Mass./Lincoln-Sudbury Regional) at 10:11.
- Neither team scored again until Pietz converted Schutz's pass at 11:40 of the second period.
- Grillone made it a one-goal game just 1:10 after that, and the teams headed into halftime with the hosts up 3-2.
- After the teams combined for five goals in the opening 30 minutes, they matched that in the first 7:45 of the third quarter.
- McCuin scored off of a Pietz dish at 13:02, but Sharlow played a hand in tying the game within the next four minutes, rolling around the goal to score at 10:02 before lending a pass on Grillone's equalizer exactly 60 seconds later.
- Pietz put the Penmen up to stay at 7:52 thanks to a Dubois pass before Dubois padded the lead with a man-up marker 37 seconds later, pushing the lead to 6-4.
- McGuirk trimmed the deficit to one with 3:18 to go.
- Joy made two saves in the opening 3:24 of the fourth quarter to keep it a one-goal affair, but the Penmen kicked off a 4-0 run with Dubois' extra-man tally at 9:26. Pietz, Schutz and McCuin all scored in the final 6:10, capping their team's game-ending 6-1 stretch.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Saturday vs. American International College, 12 p.m.
- The Purple Knights will hold Senior Day and Colin Cronin '18 Memorial Game ceremonies prior to game time.