RINDGE, N.H. - The Saint Michael's College men's lacrosse team yielded the winning goal with four seconds left in an 11-10 loss to regionally-ranked Franklin Pierce University on Wednesday afternoon at Sodexo Field during Northeast-10 Conference play. The Purple Knights are receiving votes toward this week's New England Intercollegiate Lacrosse Association (NEILA) poll, while the Ravens sit fifth in the rankings.
- Saint Michael's (3-4, 0-3 NE10), Franklin Pierce (4-1, 2-1 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Junior Ralph Grillone III (Brockton, Mass./Cardinal Spellman), 4 goals, 2 assists
- Sophomore Jon Lockwood (Norwell, Mass./Norwell), 4 goals (tied career high), 1 assist
- Graduate student Brian Loughlin (Kingston, N.Y./Kingston), 2 goals, 2 assists
- First-year Matt McGaffigan (Rockland, Mass./Rockland), 2 assists
- First-year Colin Steiger (Sudbury, Mass./Lincoln-Sudbury Regional), 2 assists
- Senior Matt Cotter (Acton, Mass./Acton-Boxboro Regional), 5 ground balls, 2-for-4 faceoffs
- Junior Justin Richmond (New Market, Md./Linganore), 7-for-20 faceoffs, 3 ground balls, 1 caused turnover
- Junior Will Moriarty (Ashland, Mass./Catholic Memorial), 3 ground balls, 4 caused turnovers
- Sophomore Joseph Gerardi (Queensbury, N.Y./Queensbury), 3 ground balls, 1 caused turnover
- Sophomore Dominic Joy (Scarborough, Maine/Scarborough), 8 saves, 3 ground balls in 42:04
- First-year Brady Neeb (Medfield, Mass./Medfield), 1 save in 17:56 of relief
- Sophomore Mike Alibrandi, 3 goals, 1 assist
- Graduate student Domenic St. Laurent, 3 goals
- Senior Jake Castorf, 2 goals, 2 assists
- First-year Stephen Ell, 2 goals, 1 assist
- First-year Lawrence Bastianelli-Conlon, 15-for-24 faceoffs, 9 ground balls
- Sophomore Justin Lorenzo, 11 saves
- Saint Michael's is receiving votes toward this week's New England Intercollegiate Lacrosse Association (NEILA) poll.
- Franklin Pierce is fifth in the NEILA rankings.
- Each of the Purple Knights' losses has come by five goals or less.
- After allowing eight goals in the first half, Saint Michael's yielded only three in the second, including two in the initial 29:56.
- The Purple Knights went 5-for-7 on extra-man chances, matching their man-up goal total from the past seven games dating back to last spring. The five extra-man goals were their most since netting six on March 12, 2012, against Adams State (Colo.) College, and their best in NE10 play since also scoring five on May 1, 2010, versus Southern New Hampshire University.
- Franklin Pierce held narrow edges in shots (37-33) and ground balls (33-30).
- Grillone turned in his fifth hat trick in seven games this season. His six points were a career high.
- Lockwood entered the game with three man-up goals in his first 20 career games but became the first Purple Knight with three extra-man goals in a single game since Andrew Buccellato '12 on May 1, 2010.
- Loughlin vaulted into fourth in program history in career points (147), passing Mike Boerma '08 (144) and Marty Vanzo '13 (144) along the way.
- Moriarty is now eighth in program history in career caused turnovers (43), passing Ryan Clunan '11 (40).
- Cotter moved into 12th at Saint Michael's in career ground balls (133).
- Richmond pushed his career faceoff wins total to 250 while squaring off with a Raven ranked 11th in Division II in winning percentage (68.7%).
- Lockwood scored a man-up marker off of Steiger's feed at 11:08 of the first period for the game's opening goal.
- Franklin Pierce responded with the next five tallies in a 7:38 span, with St. Laurent scoring the first two - 34 seconds after Lockwood's and at 8:59 during an extra-man chance. Alibrandi and Castorf both added a goal and an assist in the run as the hosts carried the four-goal edge into the second period.
- Loughlin found the back of the net on a man-up chance at 11:52 thanks to Steiger's pass to kick-start a 3-0 run, with Grillone scoring the final two 1:08 apart off of helpers from McGaffigan and Loughlin, respectively. Saint Michael's trailed 5-4 at 8:37.
- The hosts countered with three of the next four goals by the time St. Laurent made it 8-5 at 1:02. Loughlin had the Purple Knight tally, with first-year Kyle Hirshom (Walpole, Mass./Walpole) assisting.
- With 30 seconds to go, Grillone sparked another 3-0 spurt after taking Loughlin's pass, and Lockwood knotted the game with back-to-back man-up goals to begin the third quarter. Grillone assisted the first at 14:30 before McGaffigan lent a hand on the second with 11:04 to go.
- Neither team scored again until senior Luke Tracy broke the deadlock at 6:41, and Castorf extended the lead to 10-8 with 1:02 left.
- Lockwood potted his fourth goal of the game at 13:09 of the fourth period off of a dish from Grillone.
- Franklin Pierce killed a 30-second penalty that started at 10:39 thanks to a Lorenzo save while sandwiching two shots off the post around the penalty.
- Joy made stops at 6:31 and 3:55, with the Ravens being penalized on the second, leading to Grillone scoring the tying man-up marker just 17 seconds later off of Lockwood's assist.
- Bastianelli-Conlon won the ensuing draw, but Moriarty caused a turnover with 1:42 remaining that gave Saint Michael's a chance to tie the game. Loughlin was denied by Lorenzo at 1:30, but Cotter's ground ball extended the possession through a timeout.
- Franklin Pierce benefited from a turnover with fewer than 30 seconds to go and, after a successful clear and a timeout at nine seconds, Alibrandi scored with four seconds left off of a cross-field feed from Castorf.
- Richmond won the final draw, but the Purple Knights were unable to fire another shot.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Saturday vs. No. 1 Adelphi University, 11 a.m.
- The Panthers qualified for five of the last eight NCAA Tournaments.