WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. - The Saint Michael's College men's lacrosse team pulled out a 9-5 victory over nationally-regarded Palm Beach Atlantic (Fla.) University on Tuesday afternoon behind junior Ralph Grillone III's (Brockton, Mass./Cardinal Spellman) five points and sophomore Dominic Joy's (Scarborough, Maine/Scarborough) career-high 22 saves at the Palm Beach Atlantic Lacrosse Field. Saint Michael's is receiving votes toward this week's New England Intercollegiate Lacrosse Association (NEILA) poll, while the Sailfish are receiving votes toward the US Lacrosse Magazine national poll.
- Saint Michael's (3-1), Palm Beach Atlantic (6-4)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Junior Ralph Grillone III (Brockton, Mass./Cardinal Spellman), 4 goals (tied career high), 1 assist, 2 ground balls
- Graduate student Brian Loughlin (Kingston, N.Y./Kingston), 2 goals, 5 ground balls
- First-year Colin Steiger (Sudbury, Mass./Lincoln-Sudbury Regional), 1 goal (1st career), 1 assist
- Junior Alec Sharlow (Watertown, N.Y./South Jefferson), 1 goal
- Sophomore Jon Lockwood (Norwell, Mass./Norwell), 1 goal, 2 ground balls
- Sophomore Dominic Joy (Scarborough, Maine/Scarborough), 22 saves (career high), 8 ground balls (career high)
- Junior Justin Richmond (New Market, Md./Linganore), 1 assist, 5 ground balls, 2 caused turnovers, 6-for-14 on faceoffs
- Junior Will Moriarty (Ashland, Mass./Catholic Memorial), 3 ground balls, 4 caused turnovers
- Sophomore Patrick Murphy (Northboro, Mass./Saint John's), 4 ground balls, 2 caused turnovers
- Sophomore Jackson Miller, 2 goals, 5 ground balls, 3 caused turnovers
- Junior Blake Israel, 1 goal, 3 ground balls, 2 caused turnovers
- Graduate student Townsend Brown, 1 goal, 1 assist, 2 ground balls
- First-year Zach Holmes, 1 goal, 4 ground balls
- Sophomore Ben Savick, 8 saves
- Sophomore Landon Johnson, 9-for 14 on faceoffs, 6 ground balls
- Senior Scottie McLean, 5 ground balls, 2 caused turnovers
- Saint Michael's is receiving votes toward this week's NEILA poll.
- The Sailfish are receiving votes toward this week's US Lacrosse Magazine national poll.
- First ever meeting between the two teams.
- This was the second of four games in eight days that the Purple Knights face opponents that are nationally ranked or receiving votes.
- With his six faceoffs wins Richmond upped his career total to 229, breaking a tie with Chris Casserly '14 (223) for second in program history.
- The Purple Knights held the Sailfish, who were 20th in the nation in scoring (14.1), to just five goals.
- The Sailfish netted the game's first goal at the 13:55 mark in the first quarter off a shot from Miller before the Purple Knights answered back at 8:37 as Grillone buried into the left side off a quick feed from senior long-stick midfielder Matt Cotter (Acton, Mass./Acton-Boxboro Regional).
- Palm Beach Atlantic made it 2-1 34 seconds later when Holmes found the back of the net before the Purple Knights strung together four consecutive goals to go up 5-2. Lockwood started the run with a man-up goal at 4:44 before Loughlin tossed in back-to-back tallies at 2:41 in the first and 12:05 in the second. Steiger capped the run with his first collegiate marker at 10:44 off a pass from Grillone.
- Israel scored for the Sailfish at 5:27 for the final goal of the first half before Saint Michael's came out in the second half by scoring the only two goals of the third period. Richmond won the opening faceoff before feeding Grillone for his second goal at 14:48, while Sharlow potted at 5:41 to make it 7-3.
- The two teams traded the game's final four goals with Brown scoring a man-down goal at 9:02 and Miller notching at 3:28 for the Sailfish, while Grillone responded each time for the Purple and Gold.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Thursday at No. 17 Lynn (Fla.) University, 6 p.m.
- The Fighting Knights are ranked in this week's US Lacrosse Magazine national poll.