WORCESTER, Mass. - Junior Thomas Flack (Toronto, Ontario/Saint Michael's Buzzers) scored nine seconds into overtime to lift the Saint Michael's College men's ice hockey team over Assumption College, 4-3, on Saturday night in a Northeast-10 Conference game at Buffone Arena.
- Saint Michael's (4-1-1, 2-1 NE10), Assumption (2-3, 2-2 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Junior Thomas Flack (Toronto, Ontario/Saint Michael's Buzzers), 1 goal, 1 assist, 9-for-12 on faceoffs
- First-year Jeremy Routh (Hamden, Conn./New Hampshire Junior Monarchs), 1 goal, 1 assist
- Junior Sel Narby (Huntington, N.Y./Connecticut Junior Rangers), 1 goal, +2, 3 blocks
- First-year Matt Schreiner (Falmouth, Mass./Kimball Union Academy), 1 goal, 11-for-21 on faceoffs
- Junior Ethan Hendrickson (Budd Lake, N.J./New Jersey Rockets), 1 assist, +2, 5-for-9 on faceoffs
- Junior Noah Muller (Amsterdam, The Netherlands/ Düsseldorfer EG), +2
- Senior William Santangeli (Oakville, Ontario/Saint Mark's School), 6-for-11 on faceoffs
- Senior Tim Decker (Liverpool, N.Y./Canterbury School), 33 saves
- Sophomore Michael Zampanti, 3 goals
- Sophomore Robert Holyoke, 2 assists
- Senior David Zulauf, 30 saves
- Nineteen of the Purple Knights' last 20 games dating back to last January were decided by two goals or less. Each of their six contests this year was determined by a goal or less, with four of the six needing overtime to determine the result.
- This was the seventh consecutive one-goal contest between the teams.
- The Purple Knights held the advantage in faceoffs, 42-37.
- A defenseman, Narby scored for the third straight game and has a point in all six contests this year.
- The Greyhounds scored 3:09 into the first period when a pass by Holyoke found Zampanti, whose shot found the back of the net.
- The Purple Knights tied the game at 11:55 on a 4-on-3 power-play goal by Narby with assists coming from Routh and sophomore Colin O'Connor (North Haven, Conn./Connecticut RoughRiders).
- Zampanti scored a power-play goal 15:43 into the second period with assists coming from sophomore Devan Sheth and first-year Collin Montgomery.
- The Greyhound lead was short-lived, as Schreiner won the faceoff after the goal and scored five seconds later.
- A late surge by Assumption saw a shot blocked by Santangeli at 18:44 and then a save by Decker 21 seconds later to keep the game tied.
- The Purple Knights took the lead on a power-play goal 9:54 into the third period when Hendrickson found Flack, whose shot was saved by Zulauf, but Routh was there to put home the rebound.
- Assumption tied the game 1:30 later on a power-play goal by Zampanti off a pass by sophomore Dante Maribito, who got the puck off a faceoff win by Holyoke.
- With just 29 seconds remaining in the third period, Decker saved a shot by Sheth to keep the game tied and bring the game to overtime.
- Zampanti won the opening draw in overtime against Flack, but it was Flack putting a shot on net three seconds in that was saved, and he scored the game-winner by collecting the rebound and putting it home.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Friday at Franklin Pierce University, 4 p.m.