MANCHESTER, N.H. - Senior Trey Aiello scored with 16 seconds remaining in overtime as Saint Anselm College beat the Saint Michael's College men's ice hockey team, 3-2, on Saturday at Sullivan Arena in the Purple Knights' first Northeast-10 Conference game of the year.
- Saint Michael's (2-1-1, 0-1 NE10), Saint Anselm (2-2, 1-0 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Junior Sel Narby (Huntington, N.Y./Connecticut Junior Rangers), 1 goal
- Sophomore Andy Ide (Barrington, R.I./Cushing Academy), 1 goal
- Senior William Santangeli (Oakville, Ontario/Saint Mark's School), 1 assist, 7-for-18 on faceoffs
- First-year Matt Schreiner (Falmouth, Mass./Walpole Express), 8-for-13 on faceoffs
- Junior Brandon Mitchell (North Scituate, R.I./Pomfret School), 9-for-17 on faceoffs
- Senior Tim Decker (Liverpool, N.Y./Canterbury School), 46 saves (career high)
- Junior Cameron Stewart (Sabattus, Maine/East Coast Wizards), 4 blocks
- Senior Mike Ferraro, 2 goals
- Senior Trey Aiello, 1 goal
- Frist-year Nick Howard, 27 saves
- Seventeen of the Purple Knights' last 18 games dating back to last January were decided by two goals or less. Each of their four contests this year was determined by a goal or less, with the past three extending to overtime.
- Decker had a career-high 46 saves, beating out his former high of 39 saves on Jan. 19, 2019, against Stonehill College.
- This is the 10th overtime game between the Purple Knights and Hawks since 2000.
- The Hawks took the lead 13:13 into the first period on an unassisted goal by Ferraro, who scored from the slot.
- The Purple Knights tied the game 4:12 into the second period on a power-play shot from the point by Narby after a pass from the right side of the ice by junior Noah Muller (Amsterdam, The Netherlands/Düsseldorfer EG), who received the puck from classmate Ethan Hendrickson (Budd Lake, N.J./New Jersey Rockets).
- The Purple Knights took the lead 12:05 into the second period when a pass by Santangeli found Ide, who found the back of the net from the right boards.
- The Hawks tied it up 4:21 into the third period on a power play when senior Liam O'Sullivan passed the puck to sophomore Anthony Iacullo, who then slotted a pass across the ice for a one-timer goal by Ferraro.
- In the final minute of the third period, junior John Femia had the puck in the slot and shot toward the upper right corner of the net, but Decker slid across the crease for the save to keep the game tied at the end of regulation.
- With 16 seconds remaining in overtime, Dave Almeida passed the puck to Femia, who found Aiello, whose shot from the left side of the ice beat Decker for the game-winner
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Friday at Assumption College, 5:30 p.m.