HOOKSETT, N.H. - The third-seeded Saint Michael's College men's ice hockey team fell to No. 2 Southern New Hampshire University, 3-2, during Saturday afternoon's Northeast-10 Conference Championship semifinal at the Ice Den Arena to conclude its season.
- Saint Michael's (7-16-4), Southern New Hampshire (13-9-4)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Senior Nic Hermary (Coquitlam, British Columbia/Melfort Mustangs), 1 goal
- Sophomore Andrew Olevitz (Winthrop, Mass./Northern Cyclones), 1 goal
- Junior Hadan Jordan (Colorado Springs, Colo./Boston Bandits), 1 assist, 2 blocks
- Senior Patrick Doherty (Tewksbury, Mass./Middlesex Black Bears), 1 assist
- Sophomore Niall Foster (Newmarket, N.H./Walpole Express), 1 assist
- Sophomore Cameron Stewart (Sabbatus, Maine/East Coast Wizards), 1 assist
- Junior Tim Decker (Liverpool, N.Y./Canterbury School), 20 saves
- Senior Sam D'Antuono (Hingham, Mass./Dexter School), 12 faceoff wins
- First-year Andy Somerville, 1 goal, 10-for-14 on faceoffs
- Senior Artem Efimov-Barakov, 1 goal
- First-year Cole Stewart, 1 goal
- Senior Joseph Berardi, 1 assist, 16-for-24 on faceoffs
- Junior Kurt Gutting, 25 saves
- 10th time that the teams have faced off in the playoffs since their first meeting in the 1999 NCAA Championship Series. This is the sixth NE10 semifinal that has been played between the two teams.
- The Purple Knights are 5-4-1 overall against the Penmen in the playoffs all-time and 2-3 in semifinal contests.
- The Purple Knights are now 10-7 in NE10 semifinal contests dating back to the 1999-2000 season.
- Fifteen of the Purple Knights' last 18 games against NE10 opponents have been decided by two goals or less and 13 of their last 14 overall.
- The Purple Knights had advanced to the NE10 Championship final each of the past four times the game has been played.
- Olevitz tallied his third career playoff goal in as many games, while Hermary netted his second playoff goal and team-leading 11th goal of the season.
- Saint Michael's held a narrow 27-23 advantage in shots on goal, while the Penmen held a 50-24 lead in faceoffs.
- ADDENDUM: Following the championship game on March 2, Hermary was named to the NE10 Championship All-Championship team.
- The Purple Knights struck first on the power play at 7:45 in the first period when Stewart's initial shot in front of the net was saved and bounced out to the right post for Foster, who was blocked by a diving Penmen defenseman just before Olevitz picked up the loose puck and roofed it into the top right corner from point blank.
- The Penmen answered back at 10:47 in the second period when first-year Joe Fiorino ripped a shot from the blue line directly off a faceoff that Somerville redirected past Decker to make it 1-1.
- Southern New Hampshire tallied a second goal exactly two minutes later when Stewart buried from the slot on a 2-on-1 odd-man rush off a pass from first-year Jake Cox.
- Saint Michael's tied the game at 2-2 with 34 seconds left in the period as Doherty won the puck along the left boards and shuffled it out to Jordan, who threw a shot in from the blue line that Hermary deflected into the left side.
- At 13:55 in the final period, Efimov-Barakov grabbed a pass from senior Ryan Spagnoli along the boards, skated into the right circle and sniped a shot into the top right corner for the game-winning goal.
- After Decker came off the ice at the 18:07 mark, the Purple Knights were able to put two shots on net, both by D'Antuono, who had a wrap-around attempt stuffed near the left post at 19:00 and a last-chance effort from the slot turned away with four seconds remaining in the game.