WINCHENDON, Mass. - Senior Nic Hermary (Coquitlam, British Columbia/Melfort Mustangs) scored the only goal, junior Tim Decker (Liverpool, N.Y./Canterbury School) posted a 16-save shutout, and the Saint Michael's College men's ice hockey team clinched a Northeast-10 Conference postseason berth with a 1-0 victory over Franklin Pierce University on Friday evening in Ritchie Ice Arena.
- Saint Michael's (6-15-4, 6-5-3 NE10), Franklin Pierce (10-14-1, 5-8-1 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Senior Nic Hermary (Coquitlam, British Columbia/Melfort Mustangs), 1 goal
- Senior Sam D'Antuono (Hingham, Mass./Dexter School), 1 assist, 19-for-26 faceoffs
- Sophomore Andrew Olevitz (Winthrop, Mass./Northern Cyclones), 1 assist
- Junior Tim Decker (Liverpool, N.Y./Canterbury School), 16 saves
- Sophomore Niall Foster (Newmarket, N.H./Walpole Express), 17-for-27 faceoffs
- First-year Kyle Martin, 31 saves
- Opener of a two-game, regular-season-ending weekend series.
- With the win, Saint Michael's clinched a spot in the postseason for the 22nd time in 24 years. Franklin Pierce was eliminated from postseason contention.
- The Purple Knights are tied with Southern New Hampshire University for third in the NE10 after the Penmen lost to Saint Anselm College on Friday. If Saint Michael's beats Franklin Pierce and Southern New Hampshire loses again to the Hawks on Saturday, the Purple Knights tie Assumption College for second in the final NE10 standings; by virtue of winning the three-game season series, the Purple and Gold would draw the No. 2 seed in the NE10 Championship and host a semifinal game next Saturday.
- Hermary scored his career-high eighth goal, four of which have come on power plays.
- D'Antuono appeared in his 100th career game.
- Decker's second career shutout.
- Eleven of the Purple Knights' last 12 games were decided by two goals or less, with tonight's game the fourth consecutive one-goal affair.
- This was the first 1-0 win for Saint Michael's since Feb. 6, 2015, against Skidmore College, but its first away from home since Nov. 11, 1990, against Stonehill College.
- The Purple Knights are 19-2 against Franklin Pierce, including 9-1 on the road, where the last three wins have come by one goal apiece.
- The Purple Knights allowed only two shots in the first period, their fewest yielded in a regulation stanza since last Feb. 16, when they surrendered just one against Franklin Pierce in the third period.
- The Ravens went on the power play just 1:27 into the game, but senior Nate Indelicato had the only two attempts in that time, getting stopped by Decker once and sending a second bid wide.
- Olevitz and senior Jack Ouellette (Arlington, Mass./Dexter School) were both denied by Martin during a man advantage that began at 6:22 of the first period.
- First-years Matt Egan (Hingham, Mass./Kimball Union Academy) and Andrew DeCristoforo (Medway, Mass./South Shore Kings) both had shots stopped in the final 10 seconds of a scoreless period.
- Saint Michael's gained another power play early in the second frame, and Hermary cashed in with the game-winning tally. Olevitz had a shot turned away from outside the top of the right circle, but Hermary backhanded home the rebound near the right side of the crease. D'Antuono also picked up an assist.
- Decker made two saves during a mid-period Raven power play to keep the visitors up 1-0.
- Midway through a Franklin Pierce power play late in the third period, Decker made a glove save on junior James Morrissey's point-blank shot at 15:29. A Raven was penalized on the play, leading to 58 seconds of 4-on-4 play and a 1:02 Saint Michael's power play, during which Ouellette had the only shot, which was saved.
- Martin made a glove save outside the crease on senior Patrick Doherty's (Tewksbury, Mass./Middlesex Black Bears) at the 18-minute mark before vacating the net 15 seconds later, but Franklin Pierce was never able to gain the zone while playing with a 6-on-5 advantage for the final 1:45.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Saturday at Franklin Pierce, 3 p.m.