SOUTH BURLINGTON, Vt. – First-year Devan Sheth tallied the game-winning goal with nine seconds left in overtime to push Assumption College past the Saint Michael's College men's ice hockey team, 3-2, during Saturday's Northeast-10 Conference contest at Cairns Arena.
- Saint Michael's (4-10-2, 4-2-1 NE10), Assumption (10-5, 3-4 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Sophomore Niall Foster (Newmarket, N.H./Walpole Express), 1 goal, 7-for-14 on faceoffs
- Senior Sam D'Antuono (Hingham, Mass./Dexter School), 1 goal, 18-for-36 on faceoffs
- Senior Nic Hermary (Coquitlam, British Columbia/Melfort Mustangs), 1 assist
- Sophomore Thomas Flack (Toronto, Ontario/Saint Michael's Buzzers), 1 assist
- Sophomore Ethan Hendrickson (Budd Lake, N.J./New Jersey Rockets), 1 assist
- Sophomore Andrew Olevitz (Winthrop, Mass./Northern Cyclones), 1 assist
- First-year Hugo Turcotte (Gap, France/Kimball Union Academy), 22 saves
- Sophomore Noah Muller (Amsterdam, The Netherlands/Düsseldorfer EG), 4 blocks
- Junior Robert Roche, 1 goal, 2 assists
- First-year Devan Sheth, 1 goal, 1 assist
- First-year Robert Holyoke, 1 goal
- Junior David Zulauf, 43 saves
- Second game of the weekend series with Assumption.
- This was the fifth consecutive one-goal affair between the two teams and the third overtime game in their last four meetings.
- Seven of Purple Knights' last nine games against NE10 opponents have been decided by one goal or less.
- Assumption held a slight 38-37 lead in faceoffs.
- Saint Michael's came into the game in sole possession of first place in the NE10, but is now one point back in the standings after other conference action.
- The Purple Knights opened the scoring at the 6:34 mark in the first period as Hendrickson passed the puck to the blue line for Foster, who skated into the slot and marked the lower left corner to make it 1-0.
- The Greyhounds answered back on the power play at the 11:25 mark when Roche cracked a slap shot from just inside the blue line that found the right side of the net.
- Assumption tallied its second power-play goal with 10:26 gone in the second period as Holyoke found the back of the net from the hash marks to make it 2-1.
- The Purple Knights knotted the score at two apiece after D'Antuono slipped a shot past Zulauf from just in front of the crease in the waning seconds of a power play 32 seconds into the third period.
- In the closing seconds of the overtime period, senior Kieran Peters had his shot saved by Turcotte before Roche tapped a pass to the left circle for Sheth, who fired short side to win the game.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Saturday vs. Stonehill College at Brighton, Mass., 6:40 p.m.