WORCESTER, Mass. - Senior Nic Hermary (Coquitlam, British Columbia/Melfort Mustangs) scored his first two goals of the season, including the winner with 56 seconds left in overtime, as the Saint Michael's College men's ice hockey team downed Assumption College, 2-1, on Saturday evening at Buffone Arena during Northeast-10 Conference play.
- Saint Michael's (2-7-1, 2-1-1 NE10), Assumption (7-4, 2-3 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Senior Nic Hermary (Coquitlam, British Columbia/Melfort Mustangs), 2 goals
- Junior Hadan Jordan (Colorado Springs, Colo./Boston Bandits), 1 assist
- Sophomore Ethan Hendrickson (Budd Lake, N.J./New Jersey Rockets), 1 assist
- Sophomore Noah Muller (Amsterdam, The Netherlands/Düsseldorfer EG), 1 assist
- Junior Tim Decker (Liverpool, N.Y./Canterbury School), 28 saves
- Sophomore Niall Foster (Newmarket, N.H./Walpole Express), 7-for-12 faceoffs
- Senior Sam D'Antuono (Hingham, Mass./Dexter School), 13 faceoff wins
- First-year Andy Ide (Barrington, R.I./Cushing Academy), 5-for-10 faceoffs
- Junior Brendan Philippon, 1 goal, 15-for-22 faceoffs
- Junior David Zulauf, 15 saves
- Hermary's third career multi-goal game.
- D'Antuono notched his 1,000th career faceoff win in the victory, upping his total to 1,005 by game's end.
- Saint Michael's will be no worse than third in the NE10 standings by the end of the night, overtaking Assumption.
- The last seven meetings between the teams have been decided by two goals or less.
- Three of the teams' last six meetings went to overtime, including during postseason contests each of the past two years.
- Assumption's fourth consecutive one-goal game, with seven of the Greyhounds' last nine decided by one goal.
- Saint Michael's killed off two penalties during the opening 5:50 of the game, with Decker making a pair of stops in the 3:57 worth of shorthanded play.
- Forty-three seconds after Decker made a stop at one end, Hermary netted his first goal of the season at the other, with 7:14 elapsed. Muller earned the assist, as Hermary skated up the left side and fired toward the far side of the net, with the puck skimming Zulauf's glove on the way in.
- The Purple Knights earned a power play late in the opening period that carried into the second, but Zulauf stopped all three shots sent his way.
- Decker made two more stops during an Assumption power play early in the period before a Greyhound rung the post at 18:09.
- With the hosts on a man advantage, Decker rejected a final shot with two seconds left in the frame and another bid 39 seconds into the third stanza.
- After winning a faceoff to gain his team possession, Philippon tied the game at 14:17 on a power play, turning out front and knocking the puck over Decker's right shoulder.
- During a 32-second stretch with fewer than three minutes to go, Decker sandwiched two saves around an Assumption player hitting the post.
- Saint Michael's went on a power play at 18:13 that carried into overtime but yielded no shots.
- The visitors earned another man advantage at 2:36 of the extra session, and Hermary tipped home the winner out front at 4:04 after Jordan's blast from the point. Hendrickson also assisted.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Tuesday vs. Stonehill College, 7 p.m.