Purple Knights Rally From Three Down Before Falling to Saint Anselm, 5-4 in Overtime

Purple Knights Rally From Three Down Before Falling to Saint Anselm, 5-4 in Overtime

SOUTH BURLINGTON, Vt. - Saint Anselm College sophomore Shawn Moors scored 2:02 into overtime to cap a back-and-forth affair as the Saint Michael's College men's ice hockey team lost a 5-4 decision to the Hawks during a rematch of the 2018 Northeast-10 Conference Championship title game on Friday evening at Cairns Arena.


  • Saint Michael's (0-3-1, 0-1-1 NE10), Saint Anselm (1-1, 1-0 NE10)


  • Sophomore Brandon Mitchell (North Scituate, R.I./Pomfret School), 2 goals, 1 assist
  • Senior Patrick Doherty (Tewksbury, Mass./Middlesex Black Bears), 2 assists
  • Sophomore Matt McGlynn (Walpole, Mass./New Hampton School), 2 assists
  • Sophomore Thomas Flack (Toronto, Ontario/Saint Michael's Buzzers), 1 goal, 5-for-5 on faceoffs
  • Sophomore Paul McAuliffe (Newton, Mass./Kimball Union Academy), 1 goal
  • Senior Chris Johnson (Duxbury, Mass./Pomfret School), 16 saves in 33:14
  • First-year Hugo Turcotte (Gap, France/Kimball Union Academy), 13 saves in 28:48 of relief
  • Sophomore Andrew Olevitz (Winthrop, Mass./Northern Cyclones), 6 blocked shots
  • Senior Sam D'Antuono (Hingham, Mass./Dexter School), 17-for-26 on faceoffs


  • Sophomore Shawn Moors, 2 goals, 1 assist
  • Senior Bryan Green, 3 assists
  • Senior Jeremy Carignan, 1 goal
  • Sophomore John Femia, 1 goal
  • First-year Kilian Hammersmith, 1 goal
  • Senior Colin Soucy, 18 saves


  • This was a rematch of last year's NE10 Championship title game, in which the Hawks defeated the Purple Knights, 6-5 in overtime, after rallying from down three goals in the third period. On Friday, Saint Michael's did the same, turning a 4-1 deficit into a tie thanks to scoring three times in 7:01 of the third stanza.
  • Conference home opener for the Purple and Gold.


  • A scoreless opening period saw 10 total shots between the teams - five aside - as play was moved from the primary college rink at Cairns Arena to a secondary sheet of ice 4:14 into the contest due to a surface problem.
  • McAuliffe broke the deadlock 1:45 into the second period, tipping home McGlynn's pass from the left point.
  • Saint Anselm responded with four goals in an 8:55 stretch, including the first three tallies in a matter of 3:32. Carignan's power-play marker at 9:42 tied the game, and Moors, Femia and Hammersmith all added goals.
  • Doherty created the opening goal of the third period, stripping a Hawk low in the right circle before passing to the net for Mitchell, who banked the puck off a Saint Anselm player at 1:57.
  • Just 2:31 later, Mitchell took a long outlet pass from sophomore Noah Muller (Amsterdam, The Netherlands/Düsseldorfer EG), beat his man through the left circle and slipped a shot past Soucy.
  • Flack found the equalizer at 8:58, cutting through the left circle to one-time home senior Jack Ouellette's (Arlington, Mass./Dexter School) pass from behind the net.
  • Turcotte ensured overtime after snapping a glove save on rushing junior Mike Ferraro's shot from the left circle with 1:32 to go in regulation before making two more stops in the final 15 seconds.
  • Saint Anselm took the only two shots in overtime, with Moors netting the winner at 2:02 after taking a pass in the right circle, deking his man into sliding to block a shot, and picking the upper left corner.


  • Friday vs. Franklin Pierce University, 7 p.m.