HOOKSETT, N.H. - Sophomore defenseman Sel Narby's (Huntington, N.Y./Connecticut Junior Rangers) third-period equalizer helped the Saint Michael's College men's ice hockey team complete a comeback from two goals down and forge a 2-2 tie against Southern New Hampshire University on Tuesday evening at the Ice Den Arena. The contest was both teams' Northeast-10 Conference opener, while the Penmen also began their season.
- Saint Michael's (0-2-1, 0-0-1 NE10), Southern New Hampshire (0-0-1, 0-0-1 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Sophomore Sel Narby (Huntington, N.Y./Connecticut Junior Rangers), 1 goal, 1 assist
- Senior Sam D'Antuono (Hingham, Mass./Dexter School), 1 goal, 18-of-22 on faceoffs
- Senior Nic Hermary (Coquitlam, British Columbia/Melfort Mustangs), 1 assist
- Sophomore Niall Foster (Newmarket, N.H./Walpole Express), 10-for-22 on faceoffs
- First-year Hugo Turcotte (Gap, France/Kimball Union Academy), 31 saves (1st career start)
- Senior Joseph Berardi, 1 goal
- Sophomore Max Kent, 1 goal
- Junior Kurt Gutting, 40 saves
- Turcotte became the first Purple Knight other than senior Chris Johnson (Duxbury, Mass./Pomfret School) or junior Tim Decker (Liverpool, N.Y./Canterbury School) to man the net since Feb. 6, 2016.
- Saint Michael's improved to 2-0-2 in its last four trips to Southern New Hampshire, with three contests extending to overtime.
- Purple Knights' NE10 opener.
- Southern New Hampshire rattled off the game's first six shots, with Turcotte stopping each of the first four during a home power play that began 48 seconds into the game.
- Thirteen of the next 18 shots came from the Purple Knights, thanks in part to two power plays in the opening stanza. D'Antuono had one shot stopped during each man advantage.
- Berardi broke the stalemate by scoring with 29 seconds left in the first period, with the Penmen countering at the far end of the ice just six seconds after a D'Antuono shot went wide of the net.
- The teams traded power-play goals in the latter half of the second period. Just seven second into a man advantage, Kent made it 2-0 at 11:19.
- Sophomore Griffin Connor had a shorthanded bid denied by Turcotte at 16:59, and the Purple Knights quickly responded at the other end, with Hermary finding D'Antuono for a power-play tally with 17:07 gone.
- Narby tied the game 5:24 into the third period, intercepting a pass near mid-ice before skating in 1-on-1 with a defender and ricocheting a shot off the Penman and past Gutting.
- Saint Michael's killed off three penalties during the final 14-plus minutes of regulation, with Turcotte making six saves in those man disadvantages.
- The visitors drew a power play of their own at 15:38, with Hermary and sophomore Andrew Olevitz (Winthrop, Mass./Northern Cyclones) both having shots stopped in the two-minute advantage.
- First-year Phil Heisse nearly won it for the Penmen but rung the post with 1:19 to go, and the teams went to overtime.
- Turcotte made another five saves with Southern New Hampshire on a power play in the extra session, and Purple Knight skaters blocked three shots in the final 1:20 to secure the tie.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Friday vs. Saint Anselm College, 7 p.m.
- The contest will be a rematch of the 2018 NE10 Championship title game.
- Opener of five-game homestand.