SOUTH BURLINGTON, Vt. – The Saint Michael's College men's ice hockey team dropped its season opener to the State University of New York at Potsdam, 3-1, in Friday's non-conference matchup at Cairns Arena.
- Saint Michael's (0-1), SUNY Potsdam (1-0)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Sophomore Cameron Stewart (Sabattus, Maine/East Coast Wizards), 1 goal
- Sophomore Sel Narby (Huntington, N.Y./Connecticut Junior Rangers), 1 assist
- Senior Sam D'Antuono (Hingham, Mass./Dexter School), 18-for-25 in faceoffs
- Senior Chris Johnson (Duxbury, Mass./Pomfret School), 28 saves
- Junior Bryce Ferrell, 1 goal
- Junior Nate Zweig, 1 goal
- First-year Ethan Clark, 1 goal
- Junior Sean Winikates, 1 assist
- Sophomore Brett Horn, 1 assist
- Sophomore Joseph Richardson, 4 blocks
- Senior Nate Skidmore, 30 saves
- Both teams ended the game with 31 shots apiece, while the Purple Knights held a 43-24 advantage in faceoffs.
- This was the season opener for both the Purple Knights and the Bears and the first of a home-and-home weekend series between the two teams.
- The Bears started the scoring at the 8:46 mark in the first period when Zweig pilfered a Purple Knight defender's pass and backhanded a shot from the left hash mark past Johnson's shoulder to make it 1-0.
- 10:45 into the second period the Bears tallied their second goal, this time on a 5-on-3 power play as Ferrell ripped a shot from the point that deflected off the shin of a Purple Knight defenseman and into the lower left corner.
- The Purple Knights cut the deficit to one 15:36 into the third period when Narby corralled a loose puck above the left circle and rifled a pass through traffic to find Stewart on the back door for a tap-in goal.
- The Purple Knights outshot the Bears 15-9 in the third period, including seven shots on frame in the final 3:10.
- The Purple Knights pulled their goalie with 1:19 left in a last-chance bid to knot the score as Stewart put a close-range shot on Skidmore which was gathered by Clark and cleared down ice after a scramble in front of the net. Clark chased down the loose puck and tallied an empty-net goal to put the Bears up 3-1 with 26 seconds left.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Saturday at SUNY Potsdam, 7 p.m.