ORANGEBURG, N.Y. - The Saint Michael's College men's basketball team lost to regionally-ranked Dominican (N.Y.) College, 89-71, on Saturday evening in the Hennessy Center during Dominican's Daniel Sullivan Memorial Tournament. The Chargers, who qualified for the 2019 NCAA Tournament, are seventh in the latest D2SIDA East Region Media Poll.
- Saint Michael's (2-2), Dominican (3-0)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- First-year Kasai Brown (Brooklyn, N.Y./Millbrook School), 19 points, 7 rebounds, 2 assists, 7-for-8 free throws
- Senior Eli DiGrande (Essex Junction, Vt./Essex), 15 points, 3 steals, 2 assists, 6-for-14 field goals
- Senior Jordan Guzman (Staten Island, N.Y./Xaverian), 14 points, 2 steals, 2-for-4 three-pointers
- First-year Jalen Gorham (York, Pa./MacDuffie School), 11 points (career high), 6 rebounds, 2 blocks, 2 steals
- Redshirt junior Thomas Jackson (Middletown, Conn./Holderness School), 5 points, 3 steals, 2 assists
- Sophomore Jontai Williams (Bronx, N.Y./Cardinal Hayes), 5 points, 2 assists
- Junior Jalen Burgess, 18 points, 7 rebounds, 5 offensive rebounds, 4 steals
- Senior Tavon Ginyard, 18 points
- First-year Tedrick Wilcox, 16 points
- Senior Daraja Rodwell, 12 points, 5 assists
- Senior Jonathan Garcia, 9 points, 5 rebounds, 4 steals
- Dominican was seventh in the preseason D2SIDA East Region Media Poll. The Chargers were the Purple Knights' second straight opponent that was at least regionally ranked after taking on Saint Anselm College, the 12th-ranked team in Division II, on Wednesday.
- The Chargers qualified for the 2019 NCAA Tournament.
- Brown finished with a game-high 19 points by scoring 16 of his team's 31 second-half points.
- The Purple Knights were narrowly edged in overall shooting (46.9%-43.1%), success from three-point range (37.5%-36.8%) and paint points (40-34) while forcing 20 turnovers, leading to 13 steals.
- On the strength of Guzman burying two threes and Gorham turning in four points, Saint Michael's led 15-9 at 15:41 of the opening half. After the Chargers scored the next six points to knot the game, Jackson's triple put the visitors back in front, and Gorham's lay-in at 11:41 pushed the lead to 20-15.
- Burgess scored five points early in a 16-2 response, which Ginyard aided with five late points, and Dominican was up 31-22 with 8:55 to go.
- The next seven points came from Purple Knights, with Gorham's two free throws cutting the deficit to two by 7:09, and Saint Michael's trailed only 36-33 following DiGrande's pair of freebies at 4:13.
- Ginyard scored the next five points, sparking a 12-5 run, and Dominican led 50-40 at halftime after DiGrande beat the buzzer with a lay-in off of Williams' dish.
- DiGrande's triple cut the deficit to 52-45 at 17:42 of the second half before Wilcox scored the first seven points of a 10-0 run, and the Chargers led 68-49 on his dunk at 9:45.
- Guzman had four points in a 7-0 run that DiGrande finalized with a lay-in with 8:22 to go, bringing the visitors within 68-56, but the Purple Knights came no closer than 12 points down the stretch.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Sunday vs. Caldwell (N.J.) University at Dominican, 5 p.m.