COLCHESTER, Vt. - The Saint Michael's College men's basketball team fell during Northeast-10 Conference play on Saturday at Stoutenburgh Gymnasium against 19th-ranked Saint Anselm College, 93-61. The Hawks' national ranking is according to the D2SIDA National Media Poll, and they are first in the NCAA's East Region rankings.
- Saint Michael's (7-18, 4-16 NE10), Saint Anselm (21-4, 17-3 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Senior Derek Cheatom (Buffalo, N.Y./The Park School of Buffalo), 17 points, 4 assists, 7-for-15 field goals
- Junior Jordan Guzman (Staten Island, N.Y./Xaverian), 15 points, 6 rebounds, 4 assists, 3 steals, 6-for-14 field goals
- Junior Eli DiGrande (Essex Junction, Vt./Essex), 10 points, 5 rebounds (3 offensive), 5-for-10 field goals
- Senior Levi Holmes III (East Brunswick, N.J./Rutgers Prep), 9 points, 2 assists
- Sophomore Alvi Rodriguez (Madrid, Spain/La Salle Maravillas), 4 points, 4 rebounds
- First-year Miles Tention, 23 points, 5-for-6 three-pointers, 6-for-6 free throws
- Senior Tim Guers, 20 points, 5 assists, 3 steals, 4-for-7 three-pointers
- Sophomore Gustav Suhr-Jessen, 15 points, 10 rebounds
- Sophomore Chris Paul, 13 points
- Junior Danny Evans, 12 points, 6 assists
- The Hawks' national ranking is according to the D2SIDA National Media Poll, and they are first in the NCAA's regional rankings.
- The Purple Knights played their second of three straight regionally-ranked foes to end the regular season.
- Saint Michael's has suffered losses to 11 teams at least receiving votes toward regional polls.
- Holmes upped his career point total to 1,769, passing 1965 NBA Draft selection Rich Tarrant '65 (1,762) for fourth place in program history.
- Cheatom tied Travis Warech '13 for 15th in program history in career three-pointers (127).
- Holmes and senior Jaylen Hall (Chicago, Ill./Lincoln Park/Richard J. Daley) both appeared in their 100th career game.
- Seven points from Cheatom - including the final four - capped an early 14-5 run that gave Saint Michael's a 16-11 edge at 14:30 of the first half.
- Saint Anselm scored the next 16 points before Guzman's jumper was followed by his triple at 7:22 to cut the deficit to 30-23.
- The Hawks pushed their lead to a half-high 13 points twice, both on Evans hoops, but Cheatom's buzzer-beating jumper brought the Purple Knights within 40-31 at halftime.
- The Purple and Gold trailed by only six points early in the second half, for the final time at 43-37 on DiGrande's jumper at 16:55.
- Saint Anselm extended its lead to 15 points (62-47) on Guers' jumper with 10:30 to go, but four Purple Knights scored in an 8-0 counter, and Holmes' two free throws created a 62-55 game with 8:22 left.
- Saint Michael's was still down just 64-56 when Guzman made a freebie at 7:28, but the hosts pulled away on the strength of a 27-3 run, thanks in part to six three-pointers.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Tuesday vs. regionally-ranked Merrimack College, 7:30 p.m.
- The Warriors are fourth in the NCAA East Region poll.