COLCHESTER, Vt. - A tie-breaking, game-ending 10-1 run lifted the Saint Michael's College men's basketball team past Assumption College, 76-67, on Saturday during Northeast-10 Conference play in the Ross Sports Center on Senior Day.
- Saint Michael's (7-16, 4-14 NE10), Assumption (6-19, 2-16 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Senior Levi Holmes III (East Brunswick, N.J./Rutgers Prep), 29 points, 6 rebounds, 4-for-8 three-pointers
- Junior Jordan Guzman (Staten Island, N.Y./Xaverian), 20 points, 5 rebounds, 6-for-11 field goals, 2-for-4 three-pointers, 6-for-8 free throws
- Junior Eli DiGrande (Essex Junction, Vt./Essex), 14 points, 6 rebounds, 5-for-9 field goals, 4-for-5 free throws
- Senior Derek Cheatom (Buffalo, N.Y./The Park School of Buffalo), 9 points, 5 rebounds, 5-for-7 free throws
- Sophomore Alvi Rodriguez (Madrid, Spain/La Salle Maravillas), 5 rebounds (3 offensive) in 9 minutes
- Senior Jaylen Hall (Chicago, Ill./Lincoln Park/Richard J. Daley), 3 rebounds, 2 steals
- Senior Winston Jones II (Valley Stream, N.Y./Valley Stream Central), 4-for-4 free throws
- Sophomore Matthew Kelly, 19 points
- First-year Michael Speight, 14 points, 2 blocks, 7-for-8 free throws
- Redshirt junior Damien Rance, 12 points, 7 rebounds, 2 blocks
- Junior Patrick Fleming, 8 rebounds, 4 assists
- Six of the Purple Knights' last eight games have been decided by 10 points or fewer.
- Both teams committed only seven turnovers. Each also had nine offensive rebounds, but Saint Michael's parlayed that into a 14-5 advantage in second-chance scoring. The Purple Knights shot 6-of-14 from three-point range (42.9%) while holding Assumption to an 8-for-32 (25.0%) showing. The hosts were 22-for-29 on free throws to the visitors' 15-for-17 effort.
- In the second half alone, Saint Michael's shot 40.9 percent while yielding a 28.6 percent Assumption performance, including 1-for-15 on threes.
- The teams combined for 10 lead changes.
- Holmes passed Mark Mulvey '97 (1,700) to take over seventh in program history in scoring, with 1,725 points. He is eight shy of the sixth-place Ken Johnson '76 (1,733).
- Holmes' 35th career 20-point game and Guzman's second.
- Cheatom passed the 900-point plateau for his career (902).
- Saint Michael's is 9-3 against Assumption since 2013, as this was their 10th consecutive meeting decided by 10 points or fewer.
- The Purple Knights honored their four seniors prior to the game: Cheatom, Hall, Holmes and Jones.
- Rance's three-point play at 15:36 of the first half completed an 11-2 run that put his team up 11-6.
- The next eight points came from the Purple Knights, with Holmes knocking down two threes, and the hosts stretched their advantage to as much as 10 twice, with DiGrande's jumper at 3:40 making it 39-29.
- Four different Greyhounds scored in an 11-0 counter to end the half, with sophomore Bryan Boehlert's triple at 38 seconds putting Assumption ahead 40-39 at halftime.
- Baskets by Guzman provided two lead swings in favor of Saint Michael's during the first 2:02 of the second period, and the hosts led 56-49 on DiGrande's two freebies at 11:15.
- Speight scored six points in a 13-5 run that put the Greyhounds back in front, 62-61, at 6:36.
- In a 66-all game, Cheatom hit a go-ahead free throw with 4:26 left, kicking off a game-ending 10-1 run.
- Guzman hit a jumper and Holmes a free throw to push the lead to four with a little more than a minute remaining, and DiGrande's key putback at 1:14 made it 72-66.
- Jones snagged an offensive board to keep possession alive with 30 seconds to go, and Guzman followed by burying two at the charity stripe at 25.9 to ice the win.
- After Kelly made a lay-in with 4:44 remaining, Saint Michael's held Assumption to 0-for-6 shooting with one point down the stretch.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Wednesday vs. regionally-ranked Bentley University, 7:30 p.m.
- The Falcons are seventh in this week's D2SIDA East Region Media Poll.