PLEASANTVILLE, N.Y. - The Saint Michael's College men's basketball team lost a 77-68 decision at regionally-regarded Pace University on Saturday during Northeast-10 Conference play in the Goldstein Fitness Center. The Setters received votes toward this week's D2SIDA East Region Media Poll.
- Saint Michael's (5-12, 2-10 NE10), Pace (12-8, 6-6 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Senior Levi Holmes III (East Brunswick, N.J./Rutgers Prep), 20 points, 4 assists, 3 steals, 6-for-6 free throws, 4-for-6 three-pointers
- Junior Eli DiGrande (Essex Junction, Vt./Essex), 16 points, 6 rebounds, 2 steals, 6-for-11 field goals
- Sophomore Jason Heter (Andover, N.J./Newton), 12 points, 5-for-7 field goals
- Senior Winston Jones II (Valley Stream, N.Y./Valley Stream Central), 8 points
- Senior Derek Cheatom (Buffalo, N.Y./The Park School of Buffalo), 6 points, 4 rebounds, 2 steals
- Junior Jordan Guzman (Staten Island, N.Y./Xaverian), 5 rebounds, 7 assists
- Sophomore Brandon Jacobs, 21 points, 4 assists, 10-for-11 free throws
- Junior Tyrone Cohen Jr., 18 points
- Junior Peyton Wejnert, 17 points, 7 rebounds, 3 steals
- Sophomore Austin Gilbertson, 12 points, 4 steals
- Seven of the Purple Knights' last eight games were decided by nine points or fewer.
- The Purple Knights outshot Pace on three-pointers, 7-of-19 (36.8%) to 3-for-15 (20.0%), and held a 36-25 rebounding advantage, including 14-4 on the offensive end, but were outgained on free throws, 28-13, including 23-8 in the second half.
- The Purple and Gold's bench posted a 16-1 scoring lead.
- Holmes' 33rd career 20-point game.
- Holmes became the fourth Purple Knight with 250 career three-pointers (252) and is the 11th to reach 1,600 points (1,609), narrowly trailing Mark Fizulich '97 (1,612) for 10th place and Mark Pater '01 (1,621) for ninth.
- Pace led by as many as four points during the opening nine minutes of the game before Saint Michael's grabbed its first lead on Heter's jumper with 10:55 to go in the first half, sparking an 8-0 run that Jones capped with the final six points. The Purple Knights led 16-11 at 8:22.
- After Jacobs' three-pointer trimmed the deficit to two, Heter had six points in a 9-0 run to provide Saint Michael's with its largest lead, 27-16, with 3:06 remaining.
- Gilbertson's lay-in beat the buzzer before halftime, when the visitors still led 30-25.
- The Purple and Gold continued to lead by between three and seven points during the initial 10:40 of the second half before Cheatom's jumper made it 49-41, and DiGrande later dropped home back-to-back hoops to push the lead to 54-44 on a triple at 8:40.
- Saint Michael's was still up 57-48 after a DiGrande three with 7:29 to go before Pace countered with nine straight points and twice wiped out two-point deficits during what became a 19-4 run.
- Holmes buried two free throws at 1:45 to trim the deficit to 67-63, but Pace made four straight free throws around the one-minute mark and went 10-for-12 at the charity stripe down the stretch to seal the win.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Wednesday at Le Moyne College, 5:30 p.m.
- The Dolphins were the 2018 NCAA East Regional Champions and advanced to the Division II Elite Eight.
- Le Moyne qualified for the last two NCAA Tournaments.