COLCHESTER, Vt. - The Saint Michael's College men's basketball team lost a 64-58 decision to Adelphi University during Northeast-10 Conference action on Saturday in the Ross Sports Center.
- Saint Michael's (5-11, 2-9 NE10), Adelphi (11-7, 5-5 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Senior Levi Holmes III (East Brunswick, N.J./Rutgers Prep), 20 points, 7 rebounds, 4-for-10 three-pointers
- Junior Eli DiGrande (Essex Junction, Vt./Essex), 14 points, 10 rebounds, 3 offensive rebounds, 2-for-4 three-pointers
- Senior Derek Cheatom (Buffalo, N.Y./The Park School of Buffalo), 12 points, 2 steals
- Junior Jordan Guzman (Staten Island, N.Y./Xaverian), 6 points, 7 assists
- Senior Winston Jones II (Valley Stream, N.Y./Valley Stream Central), 6 rebounds
- First-year Ronnie Silva, 18 points, 5 rebounds
- Senior Jack Laffey, 12 points, 3 steals, 3-for-7 three-pointers
- Senior Nick Cambio, 9 points, 8 rebounds
- Senior Conor McGuinness, 7 points, 6 assists
- This is the only home game for Saint Michael's during a current five-game run.
- Six of the Purple Knights' last seven games were decided by nine points or fewer.
- Saint Michael's outrebounded the Panthers, 34-27, including 10-3 on the offensive end, leading to a 12-0 advantage in second-chance points.
- Adelphi shot 15-for-20 on free throws to the Purple Knights' 2-for-2 showing.
- Cheatom pushed his career three-pointers total to 111, passing Chris Cayole '07 (110) to take over 20th in program history.
- Holmes' 32nd career 20-point game.
- DiGrande's fourth double-double of the season.
- The teams played through five lead changes and three ties in the opening 12:46 of the contest, as the Purple Knights' 13-8 edge - on Guzman's lay-in at 12:37 of the first period - accounted for the largest advantage for either squad during that window.
- Adelphi utilized a 14-5 run to forge ahead 32-25 on Cambio's lay-up with 1:42 to go.
- Sophomore Walker Storey's (Shelburne, Vt./Champlain Valley Union) putback just before the buzzer brought the hosts within 34-29 at halftime.
- The Panthers led by eight points twice in the opening 2:17 of the second stanza, including 39-31 on Cambio's bucket at 17:43.
- Saint Michael's tied the game just 1:40 later, sparking a 22-5 run, as Holmes scored 10 points and Guzman handed out four assists. DiGrande's mid-range jumper at 9:50 gave the Purple and Gold a game-high 53-44 edge.
- DiGrande's triple kept his team up by seven (56-49) with 5:47 to go before Adelphi ended the game on a 15-2 run. Silva scored five points before Laffey buried a go-ahead triple at 3:28, and Cambio's freebie made it 58-56, but Holmes' lay-in tied the game with 2:13 left.
- Silva hit a step-back go-ahead trey at 59.1 seconds, and the Purple Knights missed four shots in the ensuing 33 seconds - around two offensive rebounds and Cheatom coming up with a steal - before Silva went 1-of-2 on free throws at 22.8 seconds. However, Saint Michael's missed an ensuing two-point try, and Laffey sealed the win with two free throws at 10.7 ticks.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Next Saturday at Pace University, 3:30 p.m.