WALTHAM, Mass. - The Saint Michael's College men's basketball team continued a challenging five-game stretch with an 87-65 loss against regionally-ranked Bentley University on Saturday at the Dana Center during Northeast-10 Conference play. The Falcons are second in the latest D2SIDA East Region Media Poll.
- Saint Michael's (3-4, 1-4 NE10), Bentley (7-0, 4-0 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Senior Derek Cheatom (Buffalo, N.Y./The Park School of Buffalo), 14 points, 5 rebounds, 2 assists
- Junior Jordan Guzman (Staten Island, N.Y./Xaverian), 13 points, 4 rebounds, 2 assists
- Junior Eli DiGrande (Essex Junction, Vt./Essex), 10 points, 8 rebounds
- Sophomore Walker Storey (Shelburne, Vt./Champlain Valley Union), 6 points, 2-for-4 three-pointers
- Senior Winston Jones II (Valley Stream, N.Y./Valley Stream Central), 5 points, 3 rebounds
- Senior Jaylen Hall (Chicago, Ill./Lincoln Park/Richard J. Daley), 4 points, 5 rebounds, 2 assists
- Junior Chris Hudson, 20 points, 10 rebounds, 2 blocks, 2 steals
- Sophomore Colton Lawrence, 17 points, 2 blocks
- Sophomore Jordan Mello-Klein, 13 points, 7 rebounds, 6 assists, 2 blocks
- Junior Seth Stankiewicz, 12 points
- Senior Ryan Richmond, 10 points, 6 assists
- Saint Michael's is amid a five-game run during which each of its opponents is either regionally ranked or receiving votes toward this week's D2SIDA East Region Media Poll.
- The Purple Knights held a 37-36 scoring edge in the second half.
- Saint Michael's had a 13-8 scoring advantage from the free throw line and committed only nine turnovers while forcing 11.
- Senior Levi Holmes III (East Brunswick, N.J./Rutgers Prep) made his 223rd career three-pointer, tying Mike Holton Jr. '15 for fifth in program history.
- Back-to-back baskets by Holmes and DiGrande brought Saint Michael's within 10-7 at 17:12 of the opening half, and Cheatom's two free throws had the visitors down just 15-13 with 14:40 to go.
- Lawrence scored six points to lead seven scorers during an ensuing 24-6 Bentley run.
- Storey knocked down a three before Hall's lay-in cut the deficit to 39-24 at 2:59.
- The Falcons went on a 10-2 run in a 1:43 span and led 51-28 at halftime.
- Saint Michael's never came closer than 20 in the second half, with first-year Aidan Keefer's (Cambridge, Mass./Cambridge Rindge & Latin School) free throw at 41 seconds creating that margin.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Tuesday vs. No. 4 Saint Anselm College, 7:30 p.m.
- The Hawks are fourth in both national polls.
- Saint Anselm was the 2018 NE10 Championship runner-up before qualifying for its sixth straight NCAA Tournament.