BURLINGTON, Vt. - The Saint Michael's College men's basketball team trailed Division I University of Vermont by single digits until early in the second half before falling by a 90-61 count during an exhibition game on Sunday in Patrick Gymnasium.
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Senior Derek Cheatom (Buffalo, N.Y./The Park School of Buffalo), 15 points, 3 rebounds, 3 steals, 1 block, 5-for-5 on free throws
- Sophomore Walker Storey (Shelburne, Vt./Champlain Valley Union), 12 points, 4 blocks, 5-for-9 field goals, 2-for-4 three-pointers
- First-year Jontai Williams (Bronx, N.Y./Cardinal Hayes), 8 points, 2-for-2 three-pointers
- Sophomore Jason Heter (Andover, N.J./Newton), 8 points, 3-for-5 field goals
- Senior Levi Holmes III (East Brunswick, N.J./Rutgers Prep), 7 points, 3 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 steal
- Junior Jordan Guzman (Staten Island, N.Y./Xaverian), 2 assists, 6 steals
- Senior Jaylen Hall (Chicago, Ill./Lincoln Park/Richard J. Daley), 3 rebounds
- Senior Winston Jones II (Valley Stream, N.Y./Valley Stream Central), 3 assists
- Redshirt senior Ernie Duncan, 23 points, 7-for-9 field goals, 4-for-6 three-pointers
- First-year Isaiah Moll, 22 points, 7-for-9 field goals, 8-for-8 free throws
- Junior Anthony Lamb, 16 points, 5 rebounds, 4 assists, 5 blocks
- Redshirt junior Everett Duncan, 10 points
- Saint Michael's forced 24 turnovers while committing only 16 of its own, leading to an 18-16 edge in points off of giveaways.
- The Purple Knights shot 9-of-9 on free throws while Vermont was 27-for-38 at the charity stripe.
- Saint Michael's outscored the Catamounts in bench scoring, 30-17.
- The Purple and Gold was outgained only 9-8 on offensive boards and 6-5 on second-chance points.
- UVM competed in the 2018 National Invitation Tournament (NIT) after finishing as the America East Conference regular-season champion and tournament runner-up.
- Behind five points from Lamb, Vermont led 7-2 by 18:33 of the opening half before Cheatom buried a pair of threes and Holmes added another trey to tie the game at 11 by 17:07.
- Ernie Duncan scored six points in a 13-2 response before Williams went on a personal 8-2 run in a 1:05 span, triggering a go-ahead 18-6 stretch. Hall buried a three from the right corner before Guzman made a driving lay-in, and Cheatom sandwiched five free throws around a Lamb freebie to make it 31-30 in favor of the visitors at 3:41.
- Ernie Duncan made back-to-back threes to put Vermont back in front, and Heter's baseline jumper just before the buzzer brought Saint Michael's within 37-35 at halftime.
- The Purple Knights remained within two points twice on Holmes jumpers in the opening 1:14 of the second half before the Catamounts scored 13 straight points to take a 52-39 advantage at 15:46.
- Saint Michael's scored the next six points, with Storey, Heter and Cheatom putting home buckets to create a seven-point game. A Lamb basket kick-started a 6-0 response, pushing the lead back to 13.
- Storey twice brought his team within 10 points, first by canned a three from the right wing at 11:49 before finishing with his off hand around the rim 21 seconds later thanks to Jones' pass, making it 60-50.
- Vermont pulled away with a 17-2 run that took 4:51 to elapse, as Moll scored seven points.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Friday vs. Concordia (N.Y.) College at Assumption College Tip-Off Classic, 4 p.m.
- The Purple Knights open their season with the contest.