COLCHESTER, Vt. - A veteran-heavy roster looks to build upon last year's promising stretch run as the Saint Michael's College men's basketball team returns 10 student-athletes to a 13-player squad in 2018-19.
Head Coach: Josh Meyer (6th year as head coach; 8th year with program)
Associate Head Coach: Michael Larkin (7th year)
Assistant Coach: Isaiah Jacobs (1st Year)
2017-18 Overall Record: 7-19
2017-18 Northeast-10 Conference Record: 4-17
Went 4-1 around the mid-season holiday break before taking three foes to overtime during a late-year six-game stretch, with a 76-74 upset of eventual NCAA Tournament qualifier Saint Anselm College capping that run ... connected on 74.8 percent of free throws, one of program's top performances since the 1960s ... suffered nine losses by 10 points or fewer ... committed fewest turnovers since the statistic became official in 1982-83 ... most steals since 2004-05 ... four of top five scorers return ... top five rebounders, top four in steals and top three in blocks are back.
Following annual exhibition game at the University of Vermont on Sunday, Saint Michael's begins regular season on Nov. 9-10 at the Assumption College Tip-Off Classic ... the Purple Knights kick off NE10 play by visiting Southern New Hampshire University on Nov. 14 before taking on Stonehill College on Nov. 17 for their home opener ... December presents the beginning of a challenging six-game stretch during which Saint Michael's faces sixth-ranked Saint Anselm College (Dec. 4, home); Merrimack College (Dec. 8, road) and Daemen (N.Y.) College (Dec. 29, road), which both are receiving votes toward the National Association of Basketball Coaches' (NABC) preseason national poll; and 2018 NCAA Tournament qualifier The College of Saint Rose (home, Jan. 9) ... Saint Anselm's national ranking is according to the NABC ... Merrimack and Saint Anselm also made the 2018 NCAA Tournament, as did Le Moyne College, which advanced to the Elite Eight. In all, the Purple Knights face four NCAA competitors for a total of six NE10 contests ... the top five teams from each of the NE10's two divisions head into the postseason, with the NE10 Championship beginning with first-round contests on March 1.
- Derek Cheatom (Buffalo, N.Y./The Park School of Buffalo), 6-foot-3 guard | captain | 26 games | 25 starts | 12.7 points | 4.4 rebounds | 1.6 assists | 1.0 steals | 0.6 blocks | 35.3 3pt% | 47 three-pointers
- Jaylen Hall (Chicago, Ill./Lincoln Park/Richard J. Daley), 5-foot-11 guard | 25 games | 4 starts | 1.9 points | 1.7 rebounds | 0.9 assists | 0.7 steals
- Levi Holmes III (East Brunswick, N.J./Rutgers Prep), 6-foot-5 guard | captain | 2017-18 CoSIDA Academic All-America | 2017-18 D2 CCA All-East Region | 2017-18 NE10 All-Conference | 26 games | 26 starts | 24.1 points (East Region leader) | 4.2 rebounds | 1.8 assists | 1.0 steal | 49.5 fg% | 47.1 3pt% (East Region leader) | 89.9 fg% (East Region leader) | 90 three-pointers (East Region leader)
- Winston Jones II (Valley Stream, N.Y./Valley Stream Central), 6-foot-6 forward | 13 games | 1 start | 5.0 points | 2.6 rebounds
- Eli DiGrande (Essex Junction, Vt./Essex), 6-foot-7 forward | 26 games | 9 starts | 6.8 points | 4.6 rebounds | 0.7 blocks
- Jordan Guzman (Staten Island, N.Y./Xaverian), 6-foot guard | 26 games | 18 starts | 4.8 points | 3.3 rebounds | 2.2 assists | 1.1 steals
- Thomas Jackson III (Middletown, Conn./Holderness School), 6-foot-2 guard | 26 games | 19 starts | 6.3 points | 4.0 rebounds | 2.5 assists | 1.0 steals
- Jason Heter (Andover, N.J./Newton), 6-foot-7 forward | 17 games | 3.1 points | 2.5 rebounds | 62.2 fg%
- Alvi Rodriguez (Madrid, Spain/La Salle Maravillas), 6-foot-3 guard | 17 games | 6 points | 6 rebounds | 1 steal
- Walker Storey (Shelburne, Vt./Champlain Valley Union), 6-foot-6 forward | 18 games | 1.5 points | 1.2 rebounds | 39.1 3pt%