CONCORD, N.H. - In a field dominated by regionally-ranked squads, Saint Michael's College men's golf junior Matt Johnson (Sudbury, Mass./Lincoln-Sudbury Regional) is tied for sixth following the opening day of Southern New Hampshire University's Penmen Spring Invitational on Friday at Beaver Meadow Golf Course. The Purple Knights occupy 10th place during their season finale heading into day two.
[APRIL 20 ADDENDUM: The second and final day of the Penmen Spring Invitational was canceled due to inclement weather.]
- With 314 strokes, the Purple Knights are 10th among 11 schools through day one. They are five shots ahead of Saint Anselm College.
- Seven of the teams in the latest NCAA East Region poll are competing in the field, as they are all among the top eight squads.
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Junior Matt Johnson (Sudbury, Mass./Lincoln-Sudbury Regional)
- 1-under 71, tied for 6th among 68 golfers
- 1 stroke short of the five golfers tied for first place
- 1 stroke short of career low
- Tied for 1st in par-4 scoring (3.80)
- Tied for 2nd in par-5 scoring (4.50)
- Tied for 3rd in birdies (4)
- 33rd career round in the 70s
- Shot in 70s during last eight rounds
- Senior Tucker Buteau (Gorham, Maine/Tilton School)
- 78, tied for 39th
- 18th career round in the 70s
- Senior Colin Gaunt (Queensbury, N.Y./Queensbury)
- 80, tied for 50th
- Senior Mike Byrne (Pembroke, Mass./Boston College HS)
- 85, tied for 62nd
- Season-low round
- Senior David Boardman (Pelham, N.H./Pelham)
- 89, 68th
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S MEET
- Tomorrow's final-day action begins at 9 a.m.