MANLIUS, N.Y. - Junior Matt Johnson's (Sudbury, Mass./Lincoln-Sudbury Regional) 2-under 70 placed him in second on day one of the Le Moyne College Fall Invitational on Friday, when the Saint Michael's College men's golf team took sixth among 12 schools at the Cavalry Club.
- With 302 strokes, Saint Michael's is sixth among 12 schools following the opening round, trailing Canadian school Université Laval (287) and four 2018 NCAA Championship qualifiers in Roberts Wesleyan (N.Y.) College (288), Post University (291), Concordia (N.Y.) College (298) and Southern New Hampshire University (298).
- The Purple Knights were six shots better than the host Dolphins, another 2018 NCAA squad.
- Each of the Purple and Gold's top three competitors shot 75 or better.
- Day one of two-day, fall-season-ending meet.
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Junior Matt Johnson (Sudbury, Mass./Lincoln-Sudbury Regional)
- 2-under 70, 2nd place
- Best score among golfers from U.S. colleges, with leader from Laval sitting at 66
- Tied career low
- 29th career round in the 70s
- Sophomore Connor Morse (Westford, Mass./Kimball Union Academy)
- 74, tied for 15th
- 12th career round in the 70s
- Tied season-low round
- Senior Tucker Buteau (Gorham, Maine/Tilton School)
- 75, tied for 23rd
- Set career low for a round
- 15th career round in the 70s
- Senior Colin Gaunt (Queensbury, N.Y./Queensbury)
- 80, tied for 55th
- Competed unattached
- Senior David Boardman (Pelham, N.H./Pelham)
- 83, tied for 66th
- First-year Owen O'Malley (Marshfield, Mass./Marshfield)
- 86, tied for 70th
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S MEET
- Tomorrow's final-round action at the Le Moyne Fall Invitational begins at 8:30 a.m.