SPARKILL, N.Y. - The Saint Michael's College field hockey team lost a 5-3 decision at Saint Thomas Aquinas (N.Y.) College on Saturday during Northeast-10 Conference play at Spartan Field.
- Saint Michael's (0-8, 0-5 NE10), Saint Thomas Aquinas (3-4, 1-3 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Sophomore Jenna Puleo (Essex Junction, Vt./Essex/Providence), 1 goal, 1 assist
- Senior Maggie Daley (Slingerlands, N.Y./Bethlehem Central), 1 goal (1st career)
- Senior MaKayla Foster (Middlebury, Vt./Middlebury Union), 1 goal
- Senior Anna Hurley (Sandwich, Mass./Sandwich), 3 saves in 30 minutes
- Junior Talia Torkomian (Lincoln, R.I./Lincoln), 9 saves in 30 minutes of relief
- 2 saves came on penalty strokes
- Senior Briannah Thorne, 2 goals
- First-year Lisa Larsson, 2 goals
- Junior Jade Hall, 1 goal
- Junior Suzanne Clarke, 1 save in 30 minutes
- Sophomore Jessie Hohenstein, 4 saves in 30 minutes
- The teams met for the first time since Saint Thomas Aquinas joined the NE10 this fall as an associate member for field hockey.
- Saint Michael's played the middle game during a three-game road swing.
- The Spartans held a 20-11 advantage shots, while the Purple Knights had an 18-13 lead in penalty corners.
- Hurley made her first stop less than a minute into the game, but Thorne pounced on the rebound and potted the contest's initial goal at 1:01.
- Larsson added to the lead with 6:52 gone, converting junior Kaylee Pistner's pass.
- Foster started her team's comeback at 17:40, depositing her second goal of the season.
- Just 3:59 later, Daley tied the contest off of a Puleo pass during a penalty corner sequence.
- Larsson countered with her second goal at 24:31, just 2:52 after the Purple Knights' equalizer.
- During a corner set early in the 29th minute, Hohenstein denied back-to-back shots by Foster and senior Nell Criscione (Boxford, Mass./Masconomet Regional), and Hall quickly cashed in at the other end, making it 4-2 at 28:20.
- Torkomian made five saves in the third quarter alone, her first period in goal, including denying a penalty stroke in the 39th minute.
- Thorne buried a penalty stroke at 50:31, but Torkomian stopped another stroke attempt in the 60th minute.
- Puleo put home her second goal of the season at 56:57 to create the final margin.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Thursday at Bentley University, 4 p.m.