MANCHESTER, N.H. - The Saint Michael's College field hockey team opposed its third consecutive nationally-ranked foe on Wednesday, falling by a 4-0 count at No. 4 Saint Anselm College during Northeast-10 Conference play in Grappone Stadium. The Hawks' ranking is according to the National Field Hockey Coaches Association (NFHCA).
- Saint Michael's (0-7, 0-4 NE10), Saint Anselm (6-0, 4-0 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Senior Anna Hurley (Sandwich, Mass./Sandwich), 7 saves
- Sophomore Andrea McNeil, 1 goal, 1 assist
- Junior Kendall Clifford, 1 goal
- Junior Ericka Meissner, 1 goal
- Sophomore Carly LaCasse, 1 goal
- Junior Julia Hand, 0 saves in 30 minutes
- Junior Molly Dingley, 2 saves in 30 minutes of relief
- With 219 career saves, Hurley passed Jess Anderson '05 (213) to take over 10th in program history.
- The Hawks are ranked fourth in the country according to the National Field Hockey Coaches Association (NFHCA), as Saint Michael's played its third consecutive ranked opponent.
- Saint Anselm qualified for the last three NCAA Tournaments.
- The Hawks remained the only NCAA Division I, II or III program to not allow a goal this season. Through six games, they have yielded only 10 shots on goal.
- Hurley made four of her saves in the first quarter, including thwarting a sixth-minute threat that featured two saves wrapped around a blocked shot.
- During the 14th minute, Hurley denied first-year Maeve Murphy's bid, and senior Kaeleigh Lord was blocked by a Purple Knight field player on an ensuing penalty corner set. On the next corner play, Meissner broke the scoreless deadlock off of a McNeil assist at 13:53.
- Saint Michael's held Saint Anselm to only two shots on goal in the second stanza, with Hurley rejecting Meissner's bid at a second goal in the 18th minute. However, with 22 seconds remaining, Clifford's blast from the left side of the circle during a corner set made it 2-0.
- The Purple Knights again yielded only two shots on goal in the third quarter, but LaCasse deposited the second one in the 34th minute off of senior Hannah Friend's assist.
- Hurley denied LaCasse a second goal at 47:03, but McNeil followed 10 seconds later with another tally.
- First-year Erickson Richard (Madison, Conn./Daniel Hand) inserted a corner feed during the 50th minute before receiving a return pass and firing on net, but Dingley made the stop.
- Sophomore Jenna Puleo (Essex Junction, Vt./Essex/Providence) also had an opportunity denied by the netminder during the 55th minute.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Saturday at Saint Thomas Aquinas (N.Y.) College, 1 p.m.