SEAFORD, N.Y. - The Saint Michael's College field hockey team opened Northeast-10 Conference play on Saturday with a 2-0 loss against Molloy (N.Y.) College at Cedar Creek Park. The contest was the first between the squads as league foes, as Molloy joined the NE10 as an associate member for field hockey this year.
- Saint Michael's (0-4, 0-1 NE10), Molloy (1-2, 1-0 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Senior Anna Hurley (Sandwich, Mass./Sandwich), 8 saves
- Sophomore Erin Tudryn, 2 goals
- First-year Ally Saigh, 4 saves in 30 minutes, win
- First-year Ava Quick, 4 saves in 30 minutes of relief
- Sophomore Carly Malico, 1 defensive save
- Molloy held a narrow 15-12 edge in shots, with Saint Michael's claiming a 9-7 advantage through the opening three quarters.
- The teams met for the first time in a Northeast-10 Conference affair, as Molloy joined the league as an associate member for field hockey this year.
- Tudryn got the Lions on the board 7:31 into the contest, beating Hurley to the left side following junior Nadia Elcock's pass during a corner sequence.
- In the 20th minute, sophomore Jenna Puleo (Essex Junction, Vt./Essex/Providence) was denied by Saigh, and senior MaKayla Foster's (Middlebury, Vt./Middlebury Union) follow-up bid was cleared away by Malico for a defensive save. Senior Nell Criscione (Boxford, Mass./Masconomet Regional) had a shot stopped by Saigh during an ensuing penalty corner play.
- Hurley rattled off consecutive saves during a 37th-minute Molloy corner set to keep it 1-0.
- During the 46th minute, first-year Erickson Richard's (Madison, Conn./Daniel Hand) tying bid was stopped by Quick, who also turned away Criscione's second attempt.
- Shortly thereafter, Tudryn went high to the right side of the net at 47:15 during a corner play to produce the final goal.
- Hurley notched back-to-back stops in the 52nd minute to keep the deficit two goals.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Tuesday vs. Southern New Hampshire University, 3:30 p.m.