COLCHESTER, Vt. - The Saint Michael's College field hockey team fell 8-0 to No. 7 Kutztown (Pa.) University in the final game of the Delta Hotel Fall Classic Sunday on Duffy Field. Kutztown's national ranking was according to the National Field Hockey Coaches Association (NFHCA).
- Saint Michael's (0-2), Kutztown (2-1)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Senior Anna Hurley (Sandwich, Mass./Sandwich), 4 saves in 30 minutes
- Junior Hannah Wilmot (West Townsend, Mass./Saint Bernard's Central Catholic), 5 saves in 30 minutes of relief
- Junior Molly Humiston (Kittery, Maine/R.W. Traip Academy), 1 defensive save
- Senior Kyra Wozniak, 2 goals, 1 assist
- Junior Alyssa Donato, 2 goals
- Sophomore Katie Dotterweich, 1 save in 30 minutes
- This was the first time these two teams met since 2007.
- Humiston recorded a defensive save for the second straight game.
- Kutztown is ranked seventh in the country according to the National Field Hockey Coaches Association (NFHCA).
- Saint Michael's only allowed one goal in the final 26:55 of the game.
- After a save by Hurley in the fifth minute of the game, the goal was left open for Wozniak, however, Humiston was there to make a defensive save and deny a goal. On the rebound, sophomore Izzy Radel shot the ball to left corner of the net to put Kutztown up 1-0 4:20 into the game
- In 12th minute of the game Wozniak assisted junior Leigh Roselli, then just 40 seconds later Wozniak found the net herself, making the score 3-0.
- Saint Michael's had a chance early in the second quarter when sophomore Jenna Puleo (Essex Junction, Vt./Essex/Providence) streaked up the field into the circle where she turned to make space and shot at a waiting Dotterweich, who swatted away the ball.
- In the final 10 minutes of the second quarter, Donato scored two goals while sophomore Kasey Elliott scored one to make the score going into half 6-0.
- In a break down the field Wozniak scored her second goal of the game three minutes into the second half.
- In the 53rd minute, first-year Breann Craley stole the ball and shot from the middle of the circle to the bottom left of the net to finish the scoring for Kutztown.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Wednesday at Southern New Hampshire University, 6 p.m.