NEW HAVEN, Conn. - Senior Morgan Johnston (Newburyport, Mass./Newburyport) scored twice in a 5:51 span of the second half to lift the Saint Michael's College field hockey team past Southern Connecticut State University, 2-0, on Sunday at Jess Dow Field during Northeast-10 Conference play.
- Saint Michael's (2-11, 2-7 NE10), Southern Connecticut State (0-15, 0-10 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Senior Morgan Johnston (Newburyport, Mass./Newburyport), 2 goals
- Junior Anna Hurley (Sandwich, Mass./Sandwich), 5 saves
- 2nd shutout this season
- 8th career shutout, tied for 8th in program history with Tamsen Hunter '05 and Tina Nardi '07
- Senior Claire Kondrotas (Barre, Mass./Quabbin Regional), 1 defensive save
- 5th of season, tied for 2nd in NCAA Division II and NE10
- 11th of career, tied for 4th in program history with Kate Higgins '10
- Junior Brianna Craft, 18 saves
- Senior Amanda Oberly, 1 defensive save
- Third consecutive 2-0 series win for Saint Michael's.
- Purple Knights' fourth straight road win over the Owls.
- The Purple and Gold is 6-1 in its last seven meetings with Southern Connecticut State.
- Saint Michael's earned a penalty corner during the ninth minute, but sophomore Shelagh Fluharty (Fitchburg, Mass./Saint Bernard's Central Catholic) had a bid denied by Craft.
- Senior Jacqueline Touzos had a shot turned away by Hurley at 16:29 and Johnston quickly countered at the other end, seeing a shot turned away by Craft 23 seconds later.
- Craft stopped back-to-back shots on two occasions in the opening half, both from the stick of senior Maddy Dobecki (Scarborough, Maine/Scarborough) in the 28th minute before twice rejecting Fluharty in the 32nd.
- Kondrotas kept the game scoreless by picking up her defensive save in the 38th minute, and Oberly notched hers just two minutes later off of Johnston's shot, which came after an initial Johnston shot was saved by Craft.
- The Purple Knights broke through in the 44th minute during a corner sequence, as Dobecki had a shot saved by Craft, but the rebound tipped over her and toward goal, where Johnston finished on the back side at 43:23.
- On another corner, first-year Yip Goudsmit (Rossum, The Netherlands/Cambium College Buys Ballot) had an initial bid turned away in the 50th minute before Johnston pounced on the rebound at 49:14 to make it 2-0.
- The Owls registered their final two shots in the 53rd minute, but neither made it to the cage.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Wednesday at Southern New Hampshire University, 6 p.m.