COLCHESTER, Vt. – The Saint Michael's College field hockey team was shut out by Saint Anselm College, 2-0, in Wednesday's Northeast-10 Conference bout at Duffy Field. The Hawks have qualified for the last two NCAA Tournaments.
- Saint Michael's (1-6, 1-2 NE10), Saint Anselm (4-3, 2-1 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Junior Anna Hurley (Sandwich, Mass./Sandwich), 5 saves
- Sophomore Ericka Meissner, 1 goal
- First-year Carly LaCasse, 1 goal
- Senior Abby Walker, 1 assist
- Sophomore Kendall Clifford, 1 assist
- Sophomore Julia Hand, 2 saves
- The Hawks have qualified for the last two NCAA Tournaments.
- During the second half, Saint Michael's held a 5-4 advantage in penalty corners while both teams took an even five shots.
- The Hawks broke the stalemate in the 18th minute when Walker roped a pass from the left side of the circle to Meissner, who tapped it in for the goal.
- Early in the second half, Clifford rocketed a ball toward the front of the net that deflected off the stick of LaCasse to give Saint Anselm a 2-0 lead in the 45th minute.
- Between the 51st and 52nd minutes, the Purple Knights had two shots in back-to-back corner sequences from junior Claire Scherf (Bethlehem, Conn./Nonnewaug) and senior Maddy Dobecki (Scarborough, Maine/Scarborough), but both were blocked by Saint Anselm defenders.
- Senior Claire Kondrotas (Barre, Mass./Quabbin Regional) made a bid at net at the 62:40 mark, but was denied by Hand in what would be the Purple Knights' final attempt on net.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Saturday at Assumption College, 2 p.m.
- The Greyhounds are ranked 10th in this week's National Field Hockey Coaches Association (NFHCA) national poll.