MANCHESTER, N.H. - The Saint Michael's College field hockey team fell to Saint Anselm College, 3-1, on Saturday in Grappone Stadium. Each of the Purple Knights' losses has been by two goals or less this year.
- Saint Michael's (0-4), Saint Anselm (2-2)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Junior Nell Criscione (Boxford, Mass./Masconomet Regional), 1 goal (1st career)
- Junior Claire Scherf (Bethlehem, Conn./Nonnewaug), 1 assist
- Junior Anna Hurley (Sandwich, Mass./Sandwich), 3 saves
- Senior Abby Walker, 1 goal
- Junior Michelle Lemelin, 1 goal
- First-year Emilie Martin, 1 goal
- Sophomore Julia Hand, 1 save
- The game was a non-league contest between the Northeast-10 Conference foes.
- Saint Anselm qualified for the last two NCAA Tournaments.
- Thirteen of the Purple Knights' final 14 regular-season contests are NE10 games.
- Hurley denied a shot from senior Maddie Bressler just 1:55 into the game to keep the teams scoreless, with the bid the only one of the Hawks' first 10 shots to make it to the net.
- Junior MaKayla Foster (Middlebury, Vt./Middlebury Union) was turned away in the 19th minute, and senior Maddy Dobecki (Scarborough, Maine/Scarborough) had a try during a 20th-minute corner sequence blocked.
- Walker broke the deadlock at 28:01, and Lemelin followed 2:50 later to make it 2-0 heading into halftime.
- Criscione capped a series of three consecutive penalty corners by scoring at 45:14, sending in the inbounds pass before bringing the Purple Knights within 2-1 off of a Scherf pass later in the play.
- On the next corner and shot of the game, Martin reestablished Saint Anselm's two-goal lead, at 55:58.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Next Saturday at the University of New Haven, 1 p.m.
- The contest will mark the first meeting ever between the teams, with the Chargers joining the NE10 for field hockey this season.