COLCHESTER, Vt. - The Saint Michael's College baseball team fell to Stonehill College, 15-7, during Saturday afternoon's Northeast-10 Conference contest at Doc Jacobs Field to open a three-game weekend set with the Skyhawks.
- Saint Michael's (8-23, 5-16 NE10), Stonehill (17-24, 8-13 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Sophomore Julien Giroux-Harvey (Montreal, Québec/Collège Jean-de-Brébeuf), 2-for-4, R, 3 RBIs, BB
- Senior Trevor Allen (Dennis, Mass./Dennis-Yarmouth Regional), 1-for-2, 2 R, 2B, 3 BB (2 IBB)
- Sophomore Anthony Azpeitia (Tampa, Fla./King), 1-for-2, RBI, 2B, BB, HP, 2 SB
- First-year Sebastian Oetterer (Orlando, Fla./Dr. Phillips), 1-for-4, R, 2B, BB
- Sophomore Cameron Kroeger (Clearwater, Fla./Countryside), 1-for-5, 2 R, RBI
- Sophomore Danté Moran (Saint Petersburg, Fla./Dixie Hollins), 1-for-5, R
- Sophomore Zach Rodgers (Parrish, Fla./Manatee), 5.1 IP, 9 H, 7 R, 7 ER, 4 BB, 6 K
- Sophomore Dan Favicchio (Massapequa, N.Y./Saint John the Baptist Diocesan), 2.2 IP, 3 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 3 K, Loss
- Senior Patrick Downey, 3-for-5, 2 R, 4 RBIs, HR, 2B, BB
- First-year Aidan Wilde, 3-for-4, 3 R, RBI, 2B, BB, HP
- First-year Noah Lucier, 3-for-5, R, RBI, BB
- Senior Harrison Sabo, 2-for-6, R, 2 RBIs, HR
- Junior Thomas Quinn, 2-for-6, 3 R, 2 RBIs
- Junior Rob Duarte, 3 R, 3 BB
- First-year Matt Smith, 4 IP, 7 H, 7 R, 1 ER, 3 BB, 8 K
- Sophomore Brendan Powicki, 5 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 4 BB, 5 K, Win
- First of a three-game weekend series between the two teams.
- Second of five games in seven days that the Purple Knights play at home.
- Allen's 132nd career hit tied Sean Finnell '94 for third in program history and trail Nicky Elderton '15 by just one for the program record among players who appeared solely in the squad's NE10 era.
- Allen upped his career runs total to 64, tying Dan Doherty '02 for 10th in program history, while moving into eighth in single-season runs (26). He extended his single-season hits mark to 43, tying his total from last season and Michael Dougherty '15 for ninth in Purple Knight annals. His three walks on the day pushed his career total to 58, moving him into sole possession of third at the College, while putting him tied for fifth in single-season walks (22). Allen also moved into a tie with Tyler Wild '14 (130) for fifth in career games.
- Giroux-Harvey moved into a tie with Allen, Peter Lalli '71, Matt Baker '97, Alec Tice '14, and Nicky Elderton '15 for fifth in program history in single-season walks (22).
- Rodgers upped his single-season strikeout total to 50, passing Austin Ziskie '12 (45) and Scott Racicot '72 (49) for fifth at Saint Michael's.
- The Purple Knights jumped out to an early lead with five runs on four hits and three errors in the bottom of the first as Kroeger knocked an RBI single to plate Oetterer after he reached on a double to right center. Giroux-Harvey and Azpeitia both recorded two-out RBI hits, as the former singled to left center and the latter doubled down the right field line.
- The Skyhawks responded with three runs on three hits in the top of the second as Quinn and Downey each plated a run with singles before senior Matthew Rocco walked with the bases loaded to score another.
- Saint Michael's made it 7-3 on two hits and an error in the bottom of the frame as Allen led the inning off with a double to left center and Kroeger reached on an error before Giroux-Harvey knocked them in with a single up the middle.
- First-year Harrison Stampler (Miami, Fla./Coral Gables) made a fully-extended catch in center with two out in the top of the fifth to rob an extra-base hit and save a run.
- Stonehill knotted the score at 7-7 in the top of the sixth, scoring four runs on five hits. Downey led off the inning with a solo home run to left center, while Wilde doubled in a run and senior William Kelleher and Sabo added RBI singles.
- The Skyhawks put runners on second and third with one out in the top of the seventh before shortstop Moran cut down the go-ahead run at the plate on a fielder's choice and Favicchio induced a groundout to end the inning.
- With the bases loaded in the top of the eighth Downey swatted a two-RBI double down the left field line, while a third scored on an error during the play to give the Skyhawks a 10-7 lead.
- Stonehill added five insurance runs on three hits and three errors in the top of the ninth as Sabo blasted a solo shot to left, while Quinn and Lucier each smacked RBI singles.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Sunday vs. Stonehill, 11 a.m. doubleheader
- The Purple Knights will hold a Senior Day ceremony prior to the first game.