NEW LONDON, N.H. - The Saint Michael's College baseball team lost a 5-4 decision on a walk-off RBI fielder's choice to Colby-Sawyer College on Tuesday at Kelsey Field during a non-conference affair.
- Saint Michael's (6-19), Colby-Sawyer (6-19)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- First-year Harrison Stampler (Miami, Fla./Coral Gables), 2-for-3, RBI, BB, HP, 2 SB
- Sophomore Julien Giroux-Harvey (Montreal, Québec/Collège Jean-de-Brébeuf), 1-for-2, R, RBI, 2 BB, HP
- Senior Trevor Allen (Dennis, Mass./Dennis-Yarmouth Regional), 1-for-3, 2 BB, SB
- Sophomore Danté Moran (Saint Petersburg, Fla./Dixie Hollins), 2-for-4, R, RBI, HP
- Junior Lenin Gomez (Edison, N.J./Edison/New Jersey City), 2-for-4, R, HP
- First-year Sean Birch (Mansfield, Mass./Xaverian Brothers), 7 IP, 7 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 3 K
- First-year JP LaBarge (Dennis, Mass./Nauset Regional), 1.2 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 0 K, Loss in relief
- Senior Brendan Barrett, 3-for-5, 2 RBIs, 2B
- Sophomore Ryan Cummiskey, 2-for-4, R
- Senior Austin Butler, 2-for-5, R, RBI, 3B
- First-year Kaelen Close, 4.2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 5 K in relief
- Junior Tim Unczur, 1-for-4, 2 R, BB, SB; 1 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 0 K, Win in relief
- Colby-Sawyer used five pitchers, including four for four outs or fewer.
- The Chargers held an 11-10 edge in hits.
- The teams combined to leave 24 runners on base.
- The teams met for the first time.
- Nine of the Purple Knights' 19 losses have been by three runs or less, including each of the last four.
- Gomez was hit by a pitch for the 12th time this season, tying Steven Auger's '17 program record, set in 2015. Gomez leads the NE10 by being plunked 0.48 times per contest.
- Stampler's eight steals this season tie for 10th in program history.
- Barrett's first-inning single drove in Unczur, but the Chargers left the bases loaded when Birch induced a fly ball out and a fielder's choice grounder. Only four Colby-Sawyer runners reached in the ensuing five innings.
- The Purple Knights scored twice without the aid of a hit during the second inning, taking advantage of three walks and two hit batsmen. Stampler was hit with the bases loaded to bring home Gomez, who had been hit to begin the frame, before first-year Sebastian Oetterer's (Orlando, Fla./Dr. Phillips) sac fly scored Giroux-Harvey. The visitors left the bases loaded to end the frame.
- Barrett doubled with one out in the fifth to put the tying run in scoring position, but catcher Oetterer picked him off.
- After Saint Michael's picked up only three hits in the opening six innings, sophomore Cameron Kroeger (Clearwater, Fla./Countryside), Moran and Gomez singled consecutively with one out in the seventh, with Moran's RBI single making it 3-1. Three more Purple Knights were left on base to end the inning.
- Butler's two-out RBI triple plated Cummiskey in the home half.
- Sophomore Danny McCrystal's RBI single knotted the game in the eighth inning, but LaBarge got the final hitter to pop out.
- Giroux-Harvey's one-out RBI single in the ninth scored Moran to give Saint Michael's a 4-3 edge.
- In the home half, Unczur walked with one down before Butler beat out a bunt single. Barrett followed with a tying RBI knock and, after a hit-by-pitch loaded the bases, McCrystal hit into a fielder's choice to score Butler with the winning run, barely beat the throw to first on an attempted double play.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Wednesday at Saint Anselm College, 3:30 p.m.