COLCHESTER, Vt. - The Saint Michael's College baseball team split a Sunday doubleheader with regionally-ranked Assumption College, winning 6-1 in the nightcap following a 7-4 loss in the opener, during Northeast-10 Conference action at Doc Jacobs Field. The Greyhounds are ranked second in the latest New England Intercollegiate Baseball Association (NEIBA) poll while sitting eighth in the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association (NCBWA) East Region rankings.
- Saint Michael's (6-18, 3-12 NE10), Assumption (19-13, 7-7 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Sophomore Julien Giroux-Harvey (Montreal, Québec/Collège Jean-de-Brébeuf), 2-for-3, R, BB
- First-year Sebastian Oetterer (Orlando, Fla./Dr. Phillips), 1-for-3, R, RBI, BB, 2B
- Sophomore Alex Mendez (Fallon, Nev./Churchill County), 7 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 5 K
- Sophomore Dan Favicchio (Massapequa, N.Y./Saint John the Baptist Diocesan), 1 IP, 1 H, 2 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 0 K, Loss
- First-year Ozzie Rodriguez (Tampa, Fla./Boca Ciega), 1 H, 2 H, 2 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 2 K
- First-year Connor Wironen, 2-for-3, 2 RBIs, 2B
- Junior R.J. Libby, 2-for-5, R
- First-year Jake Hamel, 1-for-2, 2 RBIs
- Sophomore James McNamara, 6.1 IP, 4 H, 4 R, 0 ER, 3 BB, 7 K
- First-year MacGuire O'Sullivan, 2.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K, Win
- The Greyhounds were ranked second last week by the New England Intercollegiate Baseball Association (NEIBA) while sitting eighth in the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association (NCBWA) East Region poll.
- Eight of the 11 runs scored between the two teams were unearned.
- This was the fifth consecutive meeting between the teams decided by three runs or less.
- Senior Trevor Allen (Dennis, Mass./Dennis-Yarmouth Regional) moved into a tie for third in program history in career RBIs (68) with Kevin Harutunian '06.
- Mendez pitched around back-to-back one-out singles in a shutout first inning.
- Assumption scored three runs in the second, all with two out, thanks to junior Jared Brescia's RBI single and a Wironen two-run double.
- The Greyhounds put only three runners on base between the third and seventh frames.
- Oetterer doubled with one down in the fourth before coming home on a passed ball to make it 3-1.
- The Purple Knights went ahead with a three-run seventh, as first-year Harrison Stampler (Miami, Fla./Coral Gables) drove in a run while reaching on an error before Oetterer and Allen walked consecutively with the bases loaded. The Greyhounds escaped further damage by turning an inning-ending, bases-loaded double play.
- Hamel's two-out, two-run, pinch-hit single gave the Greyhounds the lead for good in the eighth.
- Assumption added a pair of runs in the ninth, as junior Matt Schneider knocked an RBI single while Libby scored on a wild pitch.
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Giroux-Harvey, 2-for-4, R, RBI
- Stampler, 2-for-5, R
- Allen, 1-for-5, R, RBI; 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K
- Sophomore Cameron Kroeger (Clearwater, Fla./Countryside), 2-for-3, R, 2 BB, 2B
- Sophomore Danté Moran (Saint Petersburg, Fla./Dixie Hollins), 1-for-3, R, RBI, 2 BB
- Senior Max McDowell (Essex Junction, Vt./South Burlington), 8 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 5 K
- Junior Lenin Gomez (Edison, N.J./Edison/New Jersey City), 2 RBIs
- Junior Derek Adamson, 1-for-3, R
- Senior Alex Richardson, 1-for-3, SB
- Junior Matt Lonardo, 1-for-3, BB
- Graduate student Mike Curtis, 5 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 3 BB, 5 K
- Saint Michael's held an 8-6 edge in hits, with Kroeger's double the only extra-base knock of the game.
- McDowell picked up his first college victory during his initial season of college play.
- The Purple Knights scored three runs on two hits in the first inning. Allen's single through the right side plated Stampler before Moran walked with the bases loaded. Gomez hit a fielder's choice to shallow right that scored Allen with the hosts' third run.
- Assumption got a run back in the second when Adamson scored on a wild pitch, but the Greyhounds left runners at the corners.
- Saint Michael's left two on in the third inning after Kroeger reached on an error and Moran singled with one down.
- Hamel singled leading off the sixth before advancing to second on an outfield error, but sophomore left fielder Anthony Azpeitia (Tampa, Fla./King) cut him down trying to reach third when the next batter flew out to left center.
- With two down in the home half, Oetterer drew a bases-loaded walk, his team's fourth in the doubleheader, to push the lead to 4-1, before the final hitter struck out.
- Consecutive Greyhounds singled with one out in the seventh and moved up on a balk, but McDowell induced a fly ball into shallow right before getting the final batter to pop into foul territory to escape the threat.
- Gomez's sac fly scored Kroeger in the seventh before Giroux-Harvey plated Moran with a single to push the lead to 6-1.
- Allen yielded a leadoff single to Adamson in the ninth before fanning the side, all swinging.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Tuesday at Saint Anselm College, 3:30 p.m.