COLCHESTER, Vt. - The Saint Michael's College baseball team fell to regionally-ranked Assumption College, 10-8, despite a six-run rally in the ninth inning during Saturday afternoon's Northeast-10 Conference contest at Doc Jacobs Field. The Greyhounds are ranked second this week in the New England Intercollegiate Baseball Association (NEIBA) while sitting eighth in the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association (NCBWA) East Region poll.
- Saint Michael's (5-17, 2-11 NE10), Assumption (18-12, 6-6 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Senior Trevor Allen (Dennis, Mass./Dennis-Yarmouth Regional), 3-for-5, 2 R, 3 RBIs, 2 HR
- Sophomore Anthony Azpeitia (Tampa, Fla./King), 1-for-4, 2 RBIs, 2B
- Sophomore Iset Maldonado (Brooklyn, N.Y./Saint Francis Prep), 1-for-2, 2 R, RBI, BB, 3B
- First-year Harrison Stampler (Miami, Fla./Coral Gables), 2-for-5, R, 2B
- Sophomore Danté Moran (Saint Petersburg, Fla./Dixie Hollins), 2-for-5, R
- Sophomore Cameron Kroeger (Clearwater, Fla./Countryside), 2-for-5
- Sophomore Zach Rodgers (Parrish, Fla./Manatee), 5.2 IP, 6 H, 6 R, 2 ER, 4 BB, 4 K, Loss
- First-year Sean Birch (Mansfield, Mass./Xaverian Brothers), 3 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 2 K
- Junior Derek Adamson, 2-for-4, 3 R, 2 RBIs, HR, HP
- Junior Matt Lonardo, 2-for-4, R, 3 RBIs, BB, 2B
- Sophomore Dillon Koster, 2-for-3, R, RBI, BB, 2B
- Junior R.J. Libby, 1-for-4, 2 R, HP, 2B
- Junior Jared Brescia, 1-for-5, 2 RBIs, 2B
- Sophomore Cole Chudoba, 6 IP, 6 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 7 K, Win
- Senior Colton King, 0.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, Save
- The Greyhounds are ranked second in this week's New England Intercollegiate Baseball Association (NEIBA), while sitting eighth in the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association (NCBWA) East Region poll.
- Saint Michael's outhit the Greyhounds, 12-10. Half of the hits in the game went for extra bases as the Greyhounds led 6-5 in the category.
- Allen hit the 14th and 15th home runs of his career, becoming the first player in program history to have three career multi-home run games, while also putting his total just two behind Jack Coffey's '57 school record. He is just two short of tying Tony Gomes '81 for the single-season program record of eight, which Gomes set in 1979. Allen leads the NE10 in home runs during conference play (5). Two of the three multi-home run games in program history belong to Allen.
- Allen moved into a tie with Kevin Koscso '06 and George Buteau '15 for fifth in career RBIs in program history with 66.
- Assumption scored the game's first run on two hits and an error in the top of the second as Lonardo had an RBI single through the left side to drive in Adamson.
- The Purple Knights tied the game at 1-1 in the bottom of the fifth on two two-out extra-base hits as Maldonado tripled to right center before Azpeitia drove him in with a ground-rule double to left.
- The Greyhounds responded with five runs on three hits and two errors in the top of the sixth. Brescia smacked a two-run double, while Koster plated one with a single.
- Adamson cracked a two-run shot to left center in the seventh as Assumption scored three runs on two hits.
- Allen cut the deficit to 9-2 in the eighth with a solo home run to right before the Greyhounds grabbed one back on Lonardo's RBI double in the top of the ninth.
- The Purple Knights put together a ninth-inning rally as they scored six runs on five hits to cut the deficit to 10-8, but left the tying run on first after stringing together three two-out hits, which included Allen's second home run of the game, a two-run blast to dead center. Maldonado tallied an RBI walk, while Azpeitia drove in a run on a groundout to short.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Sunday vs. Assumption, 10 a.m. doubleheader