COLCHESTER, Vt. - The Saint Michael's College baseball team dropped a pair of Northeast-10 Conference contests to regionally-ranked Adelphi University at Doc Jacobs Field on Sunday, falling 12-6 in game one before losing 10-5 in a seven-inning affair in game two. Adelphi is ranked fourth in this week's National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association (NCBWA) East Region poll.
- Saint Michael's (5-15, 2-9 NE10), Adelphi (20-5, 10-1 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Senior Trevor Allen (Dennis, Mass./Dennis-Yarmouth Regional), 2-for-4, 2 R, RBI, HR, 2 BB
- Sophomore Danté Moran (Saint Petersburg, Fla./Dixie Hollins), 3-for-4, 2 R, 2 RBIs, BB
- Junior Lenin Gomez (Edison, N.J./Edison/New Jersey City), 2-for-5, RBI
- Sophomore Julien Giroux-Harvey ((Montreal, Québec/Collège Jean-de-Brébeuf), 2-for-4, RBI, BB
- Sophomore Iset Maldonado (Brooklyn, N.Y./Saint Francis Prep), 1-for-4, RBI, HP
- Sophomore Sebastian Oetterer (Orlando, Fla./Dr. Phillips), R, 2 BB
- Sophomore Cameron Kroeger (Clearwater, Fla./Countryside), 1-for-4, R, HP
- Senior Max McDowell (Essex Junction, Vt./South Burlington), 6.1 IP, 8 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 4 BB, 0 K
- First-year Sean Birch (Mansfield, Mass./Xaverian Brothers), 2 IP, 2 H, 5 R, 0 ER, 3 BB, 0 K
- Junior Tyler Becker, 3-for-6, R, 3 RBIs, SB
- Senior Jonathan Iadevaia, 3-for-5, 2 R
- Senior Brett Malm, 1-for-4, 2 R, RBI, 2 BB
- Senior Thomas Colombo, 1-for-4, 2 R, 2 BB
- Senior Kevin Krippel, 2-for-5, RBI
- Sophomore Mark Novello, 0.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 0 K, Win
- Junior Tom Ambrosino, 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, Save
- This was the first time the Purple Knights have hosted the Panthers as all four of their prior meetings have been played in Garden City, N.Y.
- The Purple Knights held a 12-11 advantage in hits.
- Allen broke a tie with Evan Grenier '08 for eighth at Saint Michael's in walks with 47.
- The Purple Knights struck early, scoring three runs on four hits with two outs in the bottom of the first inning. After the first two Purple Knight batters were set down, Allen walked before Moran, Gomez, and Giroux-Harvey each registered RBI singles.
- The Purple Knights again left the bases loaded in the bottom of the second.
- Saint Michael's made it 4-0 in the bottom of the fourth after Allen stroked a solo shot to straightaway right field.
- The Panthers loaded the bases in the top of the sixth inning after the first two batters walked and the third reached on a bunt single down the third base line. The Purple Knights got out of the jam after McDowell forced two flyouts and a groundout to Moran at third base to end the inning.
- The Purple Knights loaded the bases in the bottom of the frame on three walks, including one intentional, before a groundout to the third baseman ended the inning.
- Adelphi broke through for seven runs on five hits and two errors in the top of the seventh. Becker had a two run single down the right field line, while Krippel and Malm each had an RBI single.
- Saint Michael's scored two runs on three hits in the bottom of the eighth to cut the deficit to 7-6, as Moran and Maldonado each singled in a run. Saint Michael's had the bases loaded with two out before the final batter grounded out.
- The Panthers scored five unearned runs on two hits and two errors in the top half of the ninth. Becker had the only RBI of the inning as he knocked in Colombo, while the other four runs scored on miscues.
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Allen, 1-for-4, 2 RBIs
- Gomez, 0-for-0, R, BB, 2 HP
- Giroux-Harvey, 0-for-1, R, 2 BB
- Moran, 3 IP, 6 H, 6 R, 5 ER, 1 BB, 0 K
- Oetterer, 1-for-4, RBI
- First-year Harrison Stampler (Miami, Fla./Coral Gables), 1-for-3, R, 2 RBIs, 2B, HP
- Sophomore Anthony Azpeitia (Tampa, Fla./King), 1-for-3, 2 R
- Sophomore Dan Favicchio (Massapequa, N.Y./Saint John the Baptist Diocesan), 2 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K
- Malm, 4-for-5, 3 R, 3 RBIs, 2B, SB
- Colombo, 2-for-4, R, RBI
- Cicileo, 1-for-3, R, RBI, SF, BB
- Iadevaia, 1-for-3, R, 2 RBIs, HP, SB
- Sophomore Seth Sypniak, 2 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 2 K
- The fourth of five games in four days for the Purple Knights, with each opponent being either regionally or nationally ranked. Also the sixth game in an 11-game homestand.
- Allen tied Don McGuirl '15 for sixth in program history in career hits with 116. He also pulled into a tie with, Matt Beaulieu '10, Tim Pilczak '10, and Nick Nelson '14 for 10th in program history in RBIs with 61.
- Gomez was hit twice during the contest, upping his season total to 11 in 20 games, which is second in program history and just one behind Steven Auger '17 (12), who set the record in 2015. He also leads the NE10 in hit-by-pitches per game (0.55).
- Adelphi tallied an unearned run on one hit and an error in the top of the first as Malm scored on Cicileo's sacrifice fly.
- The Purple Knights held the Panthers scoreless in the top of the second after Adelphi had two runners reach third base with less than two outs, but both were thrown out at the plate.
- Adelphi tacked on five runs on four hits in the top of the third, with Iadevaia driving in two of those runs on a double down the right field line and Malm plating two more with a single up the middle.
- Azpeitia scored on Stampler's double to left center in the bottom of the third for the Purple Knights' first run.
- The Panthers made it 7-1 in the top of the fifth after Colombo singled in Malm.
- Adelphi added three insurance runs on two hits in the top of the seventh. Malm hit an RBI double before scoring on a wild pitch, while first-year Kyle Olsen plated a run on a sacrifice fly.
- The Purple Knights scored four runs on three hits in the bottom half of the frame. Stampler grabbed an RBI after being hit with the bases loaded before Oetterer had an RBI single and Allen drove in two with a single of his own.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Tuesday vs. No. 7 Southern New Hampshire University, 3:30 p.m.
- The Penmen are ranked seventh in this week's NCBWA national poll.