SPRINGFIELD, Mass. - The Saint Michael's College baseball team split a Sunday doubleheader with regionally-ranked American International College during Northeast-10 Conference play, winning 6-0 in the opener before losing a 7-6 decision on a walk-off hit in the nightcap at Bedard Field. AIC is eighth in the latest National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association (NCBWA) East Region poll.
- Saint Michael's (4-5, 1-1 NE10), AIC (9-8, 2-2 NE10)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Senior Trevor Allen (Dennis, Mass./Dennis-Yarmouth Regional), 2-for-4, RBI, 2B; 1 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K
- Sophomore Zach Rodgers (Parrish, Fla./Manatee), 8 IP, 6 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 7 K
- Junior Lenin Gomez (Edison, N.J./Edison/New Jersey City), 1-for-3, R, 2B, BB
- Sophomore Julien Giroux-Harvey (Montreal, Québec/Collège Jean-de-Brébeuf), 1-for-3, R, 2B, BB
- Sophomore Anthony Azpeitia (Tampa, Fla./King), 1-for-3, 2B, HP
- Sophomore Danté Moran (Saint Petersburg, Fla./Dixie Hollins), 1-for-5, R, 2 RBIs
- Sophomore Cameron Kroeger (Clearwater, Fla./Countryside), 1-for-4, R, 2B
- First-year Harrison Stampler (Miami, Fla./Coral Gables), 1-for-5, SB
- Redshirt junior Andrew Ciacciarelli, 2-for-4, 2B
- Senior Matthew Elliott, 2-for-4
- Redshirt junior Joe Pepe, 8.1 IP, 7 H, 4 R, 3 ER, 3 BB, 10 K
- The Purple Knights downed the Yellow Jackets for the first time since April 7, 2013, as the teams played the 36th and 37th meetings during the day since the series began in 1934.
- Both teams had eight hits, but the Purple Knights knocked five doubles.
- Rodgers improved to 2-0, as Saint Michael's picked up its first NE10 shutout since March 25, 2012, at the University of New Haven (1-0).
- The Purple Knights grabbed the only run they needed in the first inning, as Kroeger ripped a two-out double before scoring on Allen's RBI double.
- Azpeitia doubled in the fifth before moving to third on a wild pitch but being left there.
- Rodgers allowed only one base runner in the first four innings, a first-inning single, but the runner was erased on a double play.
- AIC put runners at the corners with two out in the fifth, but a popup to Allen at first base ended the threat.
- After a hit-by-pitch, stolen base and passed ball, the hosts had a runner at third with no one out in the sixth before three ground balls - including a fielder's choice where second baseman Gomez threw the runner out at the plate - finished the inning.
- The first two Yellow Jackets singled to begin the seventh, but two more fielder's choices and a fly ball kept it 1-0.
- AIC again had the tying run at third with two down in the eighth, but Rodgers fanned his final batter.
- The Purple Knights pulled away with four runs in the ninth, all with two down. Moran's based-loaded single brought home the first pair before Stampler's infield grounder was thrown away, plating the next two runners.
- Allen entered the game for the ninth and, with two runners in scoring position and one down, proceeded to induce a grounder and a fly ball to secure the shutout.
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Allen, 3-for-4, R, 2 RBIs, 2B, HP
- Moran, 2-for-6, R, RBI, SB
- Kroeger, 1-for-2, RBI, BB, HP
- Azpeitia, 0-for-1, 3 BB
- First-year Sebastian Oetterer (Orlando, Fla./Dr. Phillips), 1-for-4, R, RBI, BB
- Stampler, 1-for-4, R, BB
- Sophomore Alex Mendez (Fallon, Nev./Churchill County), 7 IP, 6 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 5 BB, 6 K
- First-year Ozzie Rodriguez (Tampa, Fla./Boca Ciega), 0.1 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 0 K, Loss in relief
- Redshirt senior Reed Phillips, 2-for-3, R, 2 2B, BB, HP
- Ciacciarelli, 2-for-4, R, 2 RBIs, 2B, HP
- Junior Matt Krause, 2-for-4, R, 2 RBIs, 2B, BB
- First-year Ethan Teixeira, 3.1 IP, 6 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 3 BB, 5 K
- Senior JD LeHouillier, 2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, Win in relief
- After rapping his 30th career double in the first game, Allen picked up his 31st in the second contest, tying Nicky Elderton's '15 school record.
- With five hits in the doubleheader, Allen vaulted into a tie for 10th in program history with 105 hits, matching Tyler Wild '14. He passed Dan Doherty '02 (100) and Seth Cole '01 (101) along the way.
- Both teams had 10 hits.
- Saint Michael's scored all six of its runs on four hits in the second inning, which Allen started with a double. Oetterer had an RBI single before Azpeitia walked with the bases loaded, and Moran's RBI fielder's choice made it 3-0 with two down. Kroeger followed with a bases-loaded walk before Allen came up for the second time in the inning and stroked a two-run single back up the box.
- The Purple Knights left two on base to end each the second, fourth, fifth and eighth innings, as well as three in the sixth. AIC left at least one runner on base in all nine innings.
- Over the initial five frames, Mendez allowed only one runner to reach third base. In the fifth, the first two batters reached, but a strikeout and a 5-3 ground ball double play ended the threat.
- Elliot's RBI single made it 6-1 in the sixth, but Azpeitia's assist from left field later cut down Elliot trying to score his team's second run.
- Mendez worked around three walks to escape the seventh unscathed.
- The first three AIC batters were hit by pitches to start the eighth before first-year Brandon Gaul came up with an RBI single, junior Matt Costanza had a sac fly, and Krause hit a two-out, two-run double to center. However, Rodriguez came out of the bullpen to preserve the 6-5 lead by inducing a fly ball.
- In the ninth, Elliot led off with a walk before Phillips doubled him to third, and Ciacciarelli doubled them both home for the walk-off winner.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S GAME
- Wednesday at No. 8 Southern New Hampshire University, 3:30 p.m.
- The Penmen's national ranking is according to the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association (NCBWA), and they also sit first in the NCBWA's East Region poll.
- Southern New Hampshire qualified for the last seven NCAA Tournaments.