SCHENECTADY, N.Y. - The Saint Michael's College women's volleyball team wrapped up play at the Union (N.Y.) College Invitational on Saturday with two losses in the Viniar Athletic Center. The Purple Knights suffered setbacks to the hosts, 3-1 (25-11, 25-15, 28-30, 25-7), and Williams College, 3-0 (25-11, 25-21, 25-17). Junior Tanner Barton (Hudson Falls, N.Y./Hudson Falls) was named to the all-tournament team.
- Saint Michael's (0-3), Union (3-4)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Barton, 5 kills, 15 digs
- Junior Allie Statile (Simsbury, Conn./Simsbury), 5 kills
- First-year Grace Fornabia (Saratoga Springs, N.Y./Saratoga Central Catholic), 5 kills
- Sophomore Katy Konow (Lebanon, Conn./Lyman Memorial), 10 assists, 9 digs
- First-year Abby Gallagher (Kingston, Mass./Silver Lake Regional), 9 digs
- Senior Gabby Ratte (Kula, Hawaii/Seabury Hall/Colby-Sawyer), 7 assists
- Sophomore Gillian Gore, 16 kills, 21 digs, 4 aces
- Sophomore Steph Libonati, 13 kills, .684 hitting
- Junior Maegan Teets, 26 assists
- Sophomore Kaylee Velasquez, 15 digs
- In a series that began in 1984, all 10 meetings have now occurred during tournaments in New York, with the last three at Union.
- Union scored the first four points of the opening set on kills before Fornabia's kill had the visitors within 8-4, but consecutive Gore aces punctuated a 4-0 response, and the Dutchwomen never again led by fewer than six points.
- Kills from Barton and sophomore Molly Clarke (Barkhamsted, Conn./Northwestern Regional) helped Saint Michael's lead 4-2 in the second set, but eight of the next nine points came from Union. Gallagher dropped an ace to make it 10-7, but the hosts pulled away with a 9-0 run.
- The Purple Knights trailed 10-2 in set No. 3 before countering with a go-ahead 14-4 stretch, as Fornabia, Gallagher and Statile each had two kills. The teams played through five ties down the stretch, with Union fending off a 24-21 deficit before Saint Michael's twice faced set point but scored the final three points, on consecutive kills from Fornabia, Ratte and first-year Jaeden Cruz (Makakilo, Hawaii/Saint Francis School).
- Union scored the first nine points in the final set and 13 of the opening 14.
- Saint Michael's (0-4), Williams (3-0)
SAINT MICHAEL'S LEADERS
- Fornabia, 5 kills, .625 hitting
- Konow, 10 assists
- Barton, 14 digs
- Cruz, 9 digs
- Junior Erin Denham, 10 kills, 9 digs, 4 aces
- Junior Alex Newton, 15 assists
- Junior Daiana Takashima, 13 digs
- Teams' first meeting.
- The teams played through 17 ties and 12 lead changes during the match.
- Clarke's kill kept Saint Michael's within 7-6 in the first set, but the Ephs countered with a 17-1 run.
- Set No. 2 featured nine ties and six lead swaps, with Konow's strong service leading to an 11-6 advantage. Statile's kill had the Purple Knights up 19-17 before the next five points came from Williams. Clarke and Statile combined for a block to edge the Purple and Gold within 22-21, but the next three points came from Ephs.
- Aces from Clarke and Barton staked Saint Michael's to a 6-3 lead in the third set, and a later 5-0 run by Williams was negated when Konow's kill leveled the score at 11. The Ephs recorded the next three points and slowly pulled away, never again leading by fewer than two points.
NEXT SAINT MICHAEL'S MATCH
- Sept. 18 at Assumption College, 7 p.m.
- Saint Michael's will play its Northeast-10 Conference opener that night.